SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 15-05-04, 11:30 AM   #1
Slenver

Default Diablos

Well - there's nothing here yet so here goes.

Pirelli Diablos. I think they're good.

Old 16-05-04, 05:11 PM   #2
svsk2

They're the dogs danglies, mate! As good as, if not better, than the 010/020 combo. I've run them on the road, on the track and on the wettest day ever, and they were perfect. I'd recommend them.
Old 06-06-04, 10:55 PM   #3
amarko5

I can confirm that Diablo's are an excellent choice of tyre.

got mine fitted this sat AM went for a little jaunt carlisle, brampton, aslton, HARTSIDE ,penrith keswick, caldbeck, carlisle.

did hartside 6 times cafe to melmerby bit just to scrub em in you know

did have one heartstopper new tyres, damp road, too much throttle on the edge of grip back end stepped out i rolled off when she gripped again standing me up and running slightly wide had to give it big left hand push to sit her down whilst ducking to avoid the discovery's drivers mirror. quick pullover to side of road and 2 fagged it whilst i gathered meself

anyway motto of above don't Scrub em in on damp roads

got off the mountain into sunnier terrain and had some really good toe down action.

Today "sun" took her up to kielder via cannonbie and newcastleton had some really good fun up there and over the north east.

one thing though,.... the profile is SOOOO round compared to the dunlops/ bridgestones it takes some hellish leaning to get them to the edge. i mean you have to be dragging the footpegs and still not on the ragged edge (REAR) the front is however right there.

try some they live up to the devil inside you (and even have little trident marks on the edge of the tyres) Nice touch wonder how long they will last though
Old 27-06-04, 10:49 PM   #4
magic.7

Default Diablo's - well I like em

The Pirelli Diablo’s use the same steel carcass as the original Metzler tyres fitted to the early K1’s. This type of carcass copes with the torque of a V twin better than a fabric one. In my opinion the rigidity of the steel is what makes the tyres so stable over white lines and ridges.
The Diablo has a stickier compound than the old Metzler M4 this gave me 8,000 miles on the back tyre. I’m hoping the Diablo rear tyre will last for 6,000 miles like its predecessor the Metzler M3.
Have had a set of these since August last year and am pleased with the grip. On a fast run out they got too hot and started to feel jittery, checked the tyre pressure when I got back home and it was about 9 lb below the standard 33 lb front 36 lb rear.
Have increased the pressure to standard and they have never given me any scares over the last 2,500 miles.
They seem to heat up quick but I always take it easy first thing when it’s cold, so how do I rate them - 5 .
Old 19-07-04, 06:55 PM   #5
WildBill

I got some fitted first thing Friday morning. After a couple of hundred miles around devon and cornwall over the weekend, they are nicely scrubbed in now.

However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarko5
one thing though,.... the profile is SOOOO round compared to the dunlops/ bridgestones it takes some hellish leaning to get them to the edge. i mean you have to be dragging the footpegs and still not on the ragged edge
Yep, I agree with that! I was really pushing it at points on Sunday and there are still big chicken strips!

So far, I think they are good tyres. If I change my mind I'll let you know!
Old 20-07-04, 10:10 AM   #6
Iansv

Briefly had a set of diablos on, till the rear got punctured and replaced...

Would recommend them
Old 20-07-04, 10:42 PM   #7
amarko5

Just an update :

the tyres are performing Excellently consistant dry and wet grip, I can honestly say I have not noticed any degredation through heat (8 hours in the saddle on sunday and not one moment).

the tyres are proving to be a good choice for myself, and have on occasion kept me on the bike where others would have failed. Rock steady at any speed (even over white lines). they turn in wonderfully quick and change direction with laser like precision.

to be honest I think they are about the best rubber i have installed on any bike (and there have been plenty of different ones used) nearest to them I would say dunlop D208's, although the 208's didn't grip quite as well in the wet.
Old 22-07-04, 03:32 PM   #8
TheLeprechaun

I share all of the same opinions on these tires as Amarko5.

However, I'm nearing the end of my Diablo's lives... at 3500 miles . Much of my riding is weekend thrashing on some of Wisconsin's finer twisty roads, so I did expect this.

I don't think it's possible to wear the rear tire (160 width) to the edge, or at least it's not safe. I've heard reports of trackday riders saying the profile on the edge is too steep - the tire will slide out before you can reach it's edge.
Old 09-08-04, 01:04 PM   #9
Crispy

Sorry I just can't agree with this:

'I don't think it's possible to wear the rear tire (160 width) to the edge, or at least it's not safe. I've heard reports of trackday riders saying the profile on the edge is too steep - the tire will slide out before you can reach it's edge.'

As a trackday addict who rides an SV650 in the fast group and whose lap times are within MiniTwins times I have have taken Diablos right to the edge no problem at all - even to the point where I am grinding away my fairing and side stand at an alarming rate.

I have found them perfect for trackdays but like any tyre with the heating up and cooling down cycle on trackdays their performance will go off a bit. After about four hard trackdays the rear has stepped out (most probably me being ham fisted with the throttle) but they have slid and regained grip predictably - unlike Avon Azaros which hi-sided me once.

From what I have read about these tyres it appears they have a very wide operating temperature so it does not matter how slow or fast you are, on the road or track they give fantastic grip.
Old 09-10-04, 11:28 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

I think it'd depend a lot on the way your bike's set up- on standard suspension with Metzeller M1s- same profile- and 33/36 psi I had about 1mm of chicken strips at the front but 9mm at the rear. With the lower front, higher rear and better suspension, my newer Roadtexs are just about equal. But I've still not taken either to the edge

The SV's rear wheel pinches a 160/60/17 tyre slightly as well doesn't it?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote