SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-02-11, 02:59 PM   #1
Ed

Default HMRC rant

They really are useless. Very quick to send me threatening letters when they want moey, but so damn slow when I want something.

I applied for a VAT number for the new business last October. November I received a letter saying that they were sampling for fraudulent applications and would I please give more info - you write the answers on the letter. I filled it and sent it back straight away.

Their Cardiff office claims to have received the letter on 16 January.

Still waiting today, so I called them. Oh we've sent it back to Wolverhampton. So I call them, woman on the other end of the phone didn't have a clue, didn't seem bothered, and made it clear that she really wasn't interested. I think I was interrupting her tea break. They have to recover files from archive - what files - she didn't know herself. Then it has to be allocated. And when might I receive a VAT number? Oh it will be a few weeks yet, she told me.

She gave me the complaints line number. Does it come as any surprise that the line is permanently busy?

Just over 4 months now, I still don't have a bloody VAT number, and I don't know when I'm going to get one. So I can't collect VAT - it's an offence to collect VAT unless you're registered - and I will have the problem of collecting (by then) 5 months arrears of VAT.

All that loss of money to the Government. And HMRC simply don't give a toss.
Old 25-02-11, 03:04 PM   #2

Default Re: HMRC rant

I feel ur pain with them,

they have failed to rectify my tax code for 8 months after I sent them all the information.

I await this year's farce.
Old 25-02-11, 03:37 PM   #3
The Idle Biker

They really are an organisation lost back in the dark ages. On the plus side though, I had a year where my company paid too little tax for me (well quite a lot too little). HMRC picked me up on it said they would deduct extra the following year, then promptly forgot all about it, and haven't had a penny back. I do realize of course that now I've posted this, the fickle finger of fate will prod a HMRC numpty to open my file and send me a bill.

I don't think you'll find anyone brave enough to sympathise with HMRC.
Old 25-02-11, 03:46 PM   #4
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I was pleased and worried in equal measures when I found I qualified for a fuel card as a compensation perk with a new job once. Great to have a 60% discount on fuel (company pays and it's treated as a taxable benefit - ie you pay income tax on the purchases) but of course HMRC made a total Horlicks of adding this to my code and I ended up under and overpaying tax on it for years afterwards... Same when I had a company car a few jobs ago!

Agree with all the above - they are hopeless.
Old 25-02-11, 04:00 PM   #5
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
and I will have the problem of collecting (by then) 5 months arrears of VAT.
No you won't, as you were not registered when they were invoiced, therefore no VAT to pay. I do believe you may be able to recover VAT paid out by your business since you applied for your VAT number though, but check with a tax person / accountant.

As for PAYE, most ****-ups with tax codings and the like are caused by personnel folks not giving HMRC the correct information when your pay / benefits change. We had a problem with underpayment of tax for private health insurance, caused by our company totally misunderstanding salary sacrifice rules. All fixed in the next tax tear but I'm still paying the underpaid tax two years on. It takes a long time to work through the system due to them working on tax years.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-11, 04:18 PM   #6
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
No you won't, as you were not registered when they were invoiced, therefore no VAT to pay. I do believe you may be able to recover VAT paid out by your business since you applied for your VAT number though, but check with a tax person / accountant.

That's how I thought it would work. Just keep all your receipts Ed to claim inputs and try and invoice lots on non VAT registered clients who will appreciate you not charging VAT until HMRC register you.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-11, 04:32 PM   #7
Ed

Oh?? I've learned something then - and it's a great relief The thought of issuing VAT only invoices on all that work was sending me into acute decline. But if I can claim back the inputs - well HMRC, I take it all back, sit on it as long as you like guys!!!!

But the attitude stinks. The dozy fartette at Wolverhampton really shouldn't be there. If it was her money that wasn't being collected, maybe she'd get her ar$e in gear.
Old 25-02-11, 04:33 PM   #8
G
Mega Poster

I changed my tax code as got a tax refund within 3 weeks... So I like then at the moment lol
Old 25-02-11, 04:36 PM   #9
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Oh?? I've learned something then - and it's a great relief The thought of issuing VAT only invoices on all that work was sending me into acute decline.
That bit is right for sure.

Quote:
But if I can claim back the inputs - well HMRC, I take it all back, sit on it as long as you like guys!!!!
That is how it works IIRC, but it is a long time since I registered a company for VAT and the language in the booklet is impenetrable. As I said, best check with a tax person. My normal tax contact (my bro who is an HMRC Inspector) does not know about VAT.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-11, 04:39 PM   #10
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I changed my tax code as got a tax refund within 3 weeks... So I like then at the moment lol
It's probably in their rules that they have to be helpful to one person a year. Congratulations - this year it seems like it's you!