SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-09-11, 10:12 PM   #11
Noddy

Default Re: Uncomfortable SV!

I've been reiding my SV about 8 weeks or so now. It's my first "big" bike having come from 125 "trailies". Like you I struggled a bit at first getting comfy on the bike, I'm a short **** 5'7". You need, like others have said to learn to relax and not tense up. Take the weight of your wrists by leaning forwards ans bending your arms or they will ache terribly. This is exactly the problem I suffered initially. Give it a week or two and you will forget all about you previous suffering.

Enjoy your bike and ride safe.
Old 10-09-11, 10:38 PM   #12
federer

Hey, I found the same when I first got mine, but now I can do 200 miles before I'm getting achey in the wrists, don't seem to suffer with the numb bum lots do.

The more I ride, and the more I build up some more core muscles the better it gets. Also I found shifting around before and after corners makes a difference over the whole ride, (and corner confidence / speed) you don't stay as rigid or get stuck in one place to much.

I read this in the august Issue of 'Ride'. Went out and gave it a shot and it changed my riding confidence and general comfort instantly. It was the first part of an article on cornering confidence. Though you might wanna read it, if you want the rest of the article I can upload it.

Old 11-09-11, 12:30 AM   #13
Timothy Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperman View Post
I bought an SV650S K6 about 2 weeks ago. It's my first bike. So far I've done about 200 miles on it over 4 days, and I love it. But one problem which is annoying me a little bit - the comfort. After literally about 10 minutes my arms, shoulders and back start to ache. I am 6 foot, so quite tall, but not overly tall.

I think it is partly to do with getting used to the bike. I'm using muscles that I rarely use so I guess I will get used to it. Also I think I need to get get in the correct riding position. Use my lower back to support my arms and bend them slightly instead of having them locked. However, when I bend my arms to make them parallel to the ground, I find myself in an almost full tuck position, hiding behind the screen. So I bend my arms slightly and sit nearer to the tank instead of right back on the seat, but it's still pretty uncomfortable.

Anyone else found the SV uncomfortable at first? I'm sure it's not, and it's just me, because I've done the research and most people find it comfortable, a lot of people use them for touring, even the S models.

Any help? Thanks
Spend some money on a Hagon shock unit and Hagon springs,it will be transformed then in to the ideal bike!
Old 11-09-11, 05:51 AM   #14
dazbo

Ride for 20 - 30 minutes every day, or every other day. As you've said, this is your first bike so you are getting into a position you have never been in before. You need to train your core muscles to take the weight of your upper body and leave the weight off your arms so you can control the bike properly.

No pain no gain, feel the burn etc etc etc
dazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 02:19 PM   #15
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Quinn View Post
Spend some money on a Hagon shock unit and Hagon springs,it will be transformed then in to the ideal bike!
Ideal for what?
Old 11-09-11, 06:32 PM   #16
T33OWL

The only problem I suffer with is pins and needles in my hands... Help anyone?
Old 11-09-11, 06:53 PM   #17
Geodude
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T33OWL View Post
Cuffs/gloves to tight?

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 08:08 PM   #18
Stenno

Well I'm 6ft as well and have similar discomfort issues although mainly with my back. If I ever get achey wrists or pins and needles etc, I just see that as a sign I'm supporting my weight through my arms too much.
I do tend to support my weight via one arm by leaning on the tank, during quiet stretches, but all in all I just get on with it. It could be worse, I went through a spell when I first started riding, where I'd wake up every morning with dead little fingers. Weird.
You'll soon get stronger, can't remember if it's your first bike but keep in mind you're using muscles you've barely used before.
Old 11-09-11, 08:31 PM   #19
Timothy Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Ideal for what?
In my 11 years of biking,the SV has been the best value for money that I ever experienced,the bike just ticks all the boxes but it's initial shortcomings were the dreadful suspension.Having spent the money on the upgrade I have not looked back.It works for me anyway.It certainly is not the bike for European trips or in my case,even going to the UK due do windblast and poor tank range,I leave those trips for my CBF600SA.
Old 11-09-11, 08:32 PM   #20
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T33OWL View Post
Gloves or cuffs as the dude says, or you're putting too much weight on the bars rather than letting your legs and core muscles hold you up, or you've got the levers pointing too high making you bend your wrist to operate them.