SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-07-11, 01:08 PM   #1
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Helmets at Petrol stations

I've been using my local Morrisons to refuel ever since it opened about 15 years ago.
When I called in last night to fill the Triumph up I sat there for what seemed an age waiting for the person to press the button so that I could fill up.
2 cars came in just behind me & they started filling up, which I thought a bit strange.
A morrison customer came over to me & said that the cashier wouldn't serve me unless I removed my helmet. My dummy was thrown, I placed the nozzle back in the pump & left giving the cashier the finger, which is not like me at all.
One of the cars that pulled in after me had 2 youths in it & the lad filling up was wearing a baseball cap & shades. Now, I would like to know what the difference is. Would they ask someone wearing a Burkha to remove it?
I am writing a letter to Morrisons, but I know that it wont make any difference, but Morrisons will be losing about £1000 worth of fuel a year off me as I called at Sainsburys 10 miles down the road & didnt have an issue.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-11, 01:17 PM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Helmets at Petrol stations

Im in total agreement mate, I bet you'd never find one single garage EVER that has asked for a burka to be removed.

In fairness, I've only been asked twice to remove mine, it's very annoying, like you say if caps, hats, burkas, turbans etc etc were treated the same then fair enough, you can't argue top much.
Old 31-07-11, 01:19 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I had it once when they had allowed me to draw fuel but then asked me to take lid off at counter, I came back with line "I'm offering to pay you in legal tender, do you want to accept it?" sadly the guy went "er yeah ok" and served me.

I wonder what the legal position is if they won't take your money and you bugger off? As far as I can see if they don't accept your cash that's them kindly offering to pay for your fuel out of their wages and I'll be offski.

As far as I can see it can't be a criminal matter, as there will be CCTV of you proffering a £20 note in their direction, which would make it a civil matter and they can go get bent. Anyone know better?
Old 31-07-11, 01:25 PM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

I find it strange that some ignorant sods go through this practice. Although at the local Asda I use the card pay on the pump
Old 31-07-11, 01:49 PM   #5
TazDaz

Once had woman at morrisons repeatedly shouting at me to take my lid off whilst I was using pay at pump and already filling up. She got the finger and a stare as rode past shop on way out.
Old 31-07-11, 01:59 PM   #6
tonyk
Mega Poster

I was told to take my helmet off so I could fuel up......
he said it over the tannoy .
so i did. I had a full face balaclava..... !!!!.
When I got in to pay I just said “can you see my face now ?, no reply…
I guess the rules are not to serve anyone wearing a helmet LOL.

Go back there and say if I take my helmet off will you let me fuel up ?.
Yea then have a full face balaclava underneath……….

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and clear all doubts."
Some days its not even worth chewing through the restraints...
tonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-11, 02:05 PM   #7
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyk View Post

I was told to take my helmet off so I could fuel up......
he said it over the tannoy .
so i did. I had a full face balaclava..... !!!!.
When I got in to pay I just said “can you see my face now ?, no reply…
I guess the rules are not to serve anyone wearing a helmet LOL.

Go back there and say if I take my helmet off will you let me fuel up ?.
Yea then have a full face balaclava underneath……….
I did say to the missus that I may go next time with baseball cap & shades in my pocket, take my helmet off & put the cap on. I never thought of a balaclava, might go with that one instead
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-11, 02:42 PM   #8
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

I've had it a couple times at sainsburys. It's usually from the older cashier people. I just start up and bugger off. Plenty other places to fill up
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-11, 04:20 PM   #9
Murph

Aleasst at the garage u get to keep your helmet in sight. At the cinema they wanted my helmet and my tank bag (just a small one i keep money phone etc in) I offered to show them in the bag as i wasnt going to hand over my life possessions, they refused demanding they have to take them in case i try to counter fit the film in my helmet......
after the 5 min chat with manager i said . ill give you my stuff you give me a reicpt which i thought was fair enough. As they hadnt asked me for a name to look after my gear or a number or anything so what stops someone going "you got my gear" and the slightly special employee just hand it over to anyone...

Anyone else had this problem with the cinema xD
Old 31-07-11, 04:35 PM   #10
tom-k6

we have to hand our helmets in at our local cinema but its the security guard who keeps hold of them, he places them on the security desk or underneath it out of view. its sort of handy as we dont fancy having them on the sticky cinema floor.