SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-09-11, 03:42 PM   #1
Fifteen15

Default Uncomfortable SV!

I bought an SV650S K6 about 2 weeks ago. It's my first bike. So far I've done about 200 miles on it over 4 days, and I love it. But one problem which is annoying me a little bit - the comfort. After literally about 10 minutes my arms, shoulders and back start to ache. I am 6 foot, so quite tall, but not overly tall.

I think it is partly to do with getting used to the bike. I'm using muscles that I rarely use so I guess I will get used to it. Also I think I need to get get in the correct riding position. Use my lower back to support my arms and bend them slightly instead of having them locked. However, when I bend my arms to make them parallel to the ground, I find myself in an almost full tuck position, hiding behind the screen. So I bend my arms slightly and sit nearer to the tank instead of right back on the seat, but it's still pretty uncomfortable.

Anyone else found the SV uncomfortable at first? I'm sure it's not, and it's just me, because I've done the research and most people find it comfortable, a lot of people use them for touring, even the S models.

Any help? Thanks
Old 10-09-11, 04:43 PM   #2
Aquila

Default Re: Uncomfortable SV!

Change the clip-ons & get a comfort kit,you wont look back,best thing I done

Something similiar to these..........
http://www.topyokes.com/comfort_kit_+_handlebars/307
Old 10-09-11, 05:27 PM   #3
Geodude
Mega Poster

Give yourself time to get used to being in that position and you should get used to it. I used to ache all over after 20 miles when i first go my bike and now i can go 100 miles+ with just a numb backside.

Are your levers set for your hand position? Adjust clutch and brake levers so they’re at their most comfortable by loosening their bracket clamps and rotating them until they are in the right place. This is when the levers fall in line with your forearms, so there’s no bend in the wrist with fingers resting on the levers. Some switchgear assemblies can also be swivelled for the ideal thumb position.

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Last edited by Geodude; 10-09-11 at 05:55 PM. Reason: extra info
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 05:58 PM   #4
Geodude
Mega Poster

Bit more info on MCN link My neck used to ache aswell until i got used to the weight of my lid and being battered by the wind (mines a naked) but now im quite pleased with my muscular neck and shoulders all due to biking just need to find a biking way to get rid of the belly

Old 10-09-11, 06:18 PM   #5
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude;2600759 :D
just need to find a biking way to get rid of the belly
Push bike ?
Old 10-09-11, 06:23 PM   #6
Geodude
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Push bike ?
Erm no, need engine Haha i kind of left the door open for that one

Old 10-09-11, 07:01 PM   #7
MJC-DEV

If it's any consolation my SV650S K6 is the most uncomfortable bike I've ever had (and I've had a few now). I'm also 6 ft. Having said that it still makes a brilliant commuter and weekend scratcher and I wouldn't ever change the clips-on to bars as, for me, that would change the bike (I would change the bike if it got this bad). Wouldn't ever tour on it but some people find it perfectly ok!
I never get a numb bum like some but get it in the arms and wrists.
So you are not alone and it may not get any better but it might!

Last edited by MJC-DEV; 10-09-11 at 07:02 PM. Reason: typo
MJC-DEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 07:47 PM   #8
Stonesie

You need to be taking the weight off your arms and putting it through your legs and core muscles, it will take a couple of weeks to get used to it but I have done 400 miles in a day with no arm/wrist/shoulder aches, plenty of ache in the butt and hips though but fitting lower pegs has helped (im 5'10" with pretty long legs) Next step is to let Tony Archer have a look at my seat.
Old 10-09-11, 08:55 PM   #9
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

My bike vibrates through the bars like a Duracel rabbit, on amphetamines, atop a washing machine on full spin.

But, 34k in from new, I still luvs it.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 09:47 PM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Be at one with your motorcycle, Geo summed up the first basic steps. Your elbows, wrists and hands should be in a nice line together, when you have your hands on the bars.

Given your height, a double bubble will help

Comfort kit, is at the end of the road, when all the other solutions have been used.

I don't mean to be rude.....but grow a pair. Its your first bike, so everything is new, you need to grow muscles where you thought there weren't any. They can be comfy for even people of the Irish Dave Preston variety, who is so tall he has regular talks with the man in the clouds! Growing muscles like Popeye isn't unachievable, even for the tinyest of girls(like me)

Relax, bend your arms, slump like a couch potato, and enjoy it. I bet half the tension is because it is new.

A gel seat would help, if yer ass is boney, or a chat with Tony Archer, as someone else has said. I've had two seats done by him, for different bikes, hes highly recommended in the biking world as the guru of seats!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 10-09-11 at 09:48 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote