SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-08-12, 12:59 PM   #1
rowdy

Default Too hot for leathers- my custom seat cover

My old seat had a couple of tiny tears in it, and I managed to bag a brand new one off of the bay for a whole £5.
With my old seat sitting redundant in the garage and an old suede coat kicking around I thought I'd have a crack at recovering the seat.

So, to start, take one suede jacket and a pair of scissors

Add a staple gun, as the piece of suede I was using had a seam on it, I turned the seat upside down and started at the back of the seat in the middle, to get the seam central. I then worked my way backwards from the sides, starting just about central, pulling it tight to stop it sagging as much as possible.

Having roughly stapled the all the way around the back and sides of the seat I then trimmed up the excess material and redid any dodgy staples that hadn't gone in properly.

I then worked around the front of the seat, trimming the corners as I went. You have to keep pulling the material tight at the edges and spreading the material with the other hand to keep all wrinkles and sagging out of the material. The front is a little tricky as the material will be very tight around it but it was all good and didn't take long at all to do in the end.

Have to excuse the pictures, taken on my phone and it has uploaded them all the wrong way round and can't for the life of me get them to copy and paste onto here once I've corrected them

And fitted to the bike (you'll have to turn your head to the side)

Hopefully uploaded now!
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.

Last edited by rowdy; 10-08-12 at 02:03 PM.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 01:05 PM   #2
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Too hot for leathers- my custom seat cover

cant see any pics
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 01:12 PM   #3
rowdy

Anyone see them?
just looked on my phone and they aren't there, but they show on my laptop.
Silver pointy sk3, tail tidy, single seat cowl, fairing lowers, smoke double bubble screen, carbon hugger and front mudguard, full race M4 system, K&N filter, GSXR1000K2 forks, wheel and discs, GSXR750 calipers, HEL braided lines, TL1000s clip-ons, Gilles rearsets, Chinese cnc levers, led indies.
Old 10-08-12, 01:16 PM   #4
Elliott

Nope me neither
Old 10-08-12, 01:22 PM   #5
rowdy

Anyone know what I might have done wrong?
I took the pics on phone and emailed them to my email address, then moved them to the pictures folder on the laptop. When I try and copy and paste them onto here from the pictures folder it won't let me but it let me copy and paste them from the email that I sent myself.

I am not the best with computers
Old 10-08-12, 01:28 PM   #6
punkyp

Upload to http://tinypic.com/ and use the links it gives you. The src you have set the images to in in your live mail account, that is why you can see them on your laptop.

EDIT: Use the resize option if they are massive.

Last edited by punkyp; 10-08-12 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-08-12, 01:29 PM   #7
rowdy

Thanks, I've got a photobucket account will try through that.
Old 10-08-12, 02:04 PM   #8
rowdy

Right, hopefully you can see them now .
Old 10-08-12, 02:08 PM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

that should soak up water nicely....
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 02:12 PM   #10
flymo
Mega Poster

nice job
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote