SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-05-13, 09:12 PM   #1
Juju

Default Which bike after your SV?

What did you choose?

I have a 51 plate curvy. Had it for 3 years, put 12k on it. But I feel its time for a change.

What do I like about it?

Its the perfect height for me - I can put balls of feet down at traffic lights, which is perfect as a lot of my travel is commuting. Its also manoerable and light for my journey which can entail a fair bit of filtering. Its fairly economical. It's generally fairly comfortable.

What do I want?

Firstly, I'm fed up of spending £££ every year on electrical repairs - I'm on my third breakdown in 3 years. Year 1 everything went, the reg/rectifier, alternator, battery. Second year, corrosion in a hard to find bit of wiring/connector. Third, I am led to believe at present - the coil pack has expired.

So time for a change.

I want a more reliable, newer bike with slightly longer legs - ie one not quite so tiring on longer journeys. I'm thinking of a more relaxed, larger cc. But not really physically much bigger. But with comfier suspension as well, and lights that might actually help in the dark.

Basically, I think if Suzuki had ever invested in the range and done a R or S Version with better suspension and a model range of more than 1 sized engine (in the curvy at least, which is a far better looking bike), that would be me, but sadly they didn't and I am no mechanic, and don't really have the means to do it myself. And I dont want a fantastically nonstandard SV for the insurance hassle. So a well suspended 750cc SV built by Triumph would be perfect. But they didn't do one.

So I am REALLY stuck for choices. I find nothing that isnt too tall, too ugly, too heavy, economical and a great all rounder. Anyhting that takes my fancy is too old - like Early Fasers, where as the current ones are munter to look at. Or even Trumph tt600's and the like just don't do it for me, and the poor reviews put me off. I don't want **** in the air sporting motoring, nor do I want cruiser style.

But I'm not a bike enthusiast, and I am sure there's a heap of bikes I've not thought of, and wlecome suggestions. It sometimes jsut seems that all the major manufacturers haven't genuinely desinged a pretty bike in 15 years, which was lighter and more economical than the preceeding model. Odd angles, stupid bits of plastic over radiators, odd bits of engine, ugly as hell.

Does it sound as if an ordinary, middle weight, practical bike thats pretty and reliable is something no one can make anymore? Sometimes it seems so.

But for all those slightly shorter of leg,what do you suggest?
Old 30-05-13, 09:46 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: To all those who moved on from an SV -

3 breakdowns in 3 years is good going. especially for a 12 year old bike. your going to have problems no matter what bike you get as there are none that are fully reliable.

stick to what you have and throw some cash at it in the form of someone who knows what they are doing and have a good reputation like spannerman on the forum.

your going to spend money no matter what bike you get. its mechanical it will break.

as a matter of interest how much have you actually spent on repairing the bike in the past 3 years?

ooohhh and your not short if you can get the balls of your feet down on a standard curvy and would be the same on most bikes.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-13, 09:55 PM   #3
wyrdness

The Street Triple would probably tick pretty much all of your boxes (in particular the 'R' version if you want better suspension).

It's considerably more powerful than the SV, but still pretty torquey. Comfort is a personal thing, but mine is OK and the seat hight is low enough for just about anybody to get their feet down easily.
Old 30-05-13, 10:04 PM   #4
Fallout
Mega Poster

+1 on the Street Triple. Ask Tomor about his. He loves it. Comfy, great fun, practical, reliable. It's the easiest bike in the world to ride. Like literally, I sat on his bike and rode off and was giggling at how ridiculously easy it was. Only thing it's lacking in is a windscreen for high speed and bad weather. Apart from that it's the perfect bike.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-13, 03:24 PM   #5
Jarvis21

Default Re: Which bike after your SV?

Bit pricey but I'd love a z1000sx which sounds perfect for what your looking for, and the mileage your doing
Old 31-05-13, 03:32 PM   #6
dkid

Default Which bike after your SV?

Triumph sprint st 1050? One of the more sporty sports tourers. Not ugly and plenty of go. Comfy too
Old 31-05-13, 04:03 PM   #7
jonny.boyd

I got a Viffer after the SV, mainly for touring as I do enjoy doing long journeys! A might more powerful and a good hoot
jonny.boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-13, 04:42 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

If I were to get rid of my SV, I'd go for a VFR, Sv1000, V Strom 1000 or maybe a KTM.

But as I haven't used my SV lately, I don't see the point in getting anything to replace it
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-13, 06:50 PM   #9
DJFridge

When money allows, my curvy is eventually going to have to be replaced. Not because there is anything wrong with it but but because use my eldest is now 5'10" (2" taller than me!) and finds the pillion position a little cramped for anything over half an hour. I'm toying with the idea of a Tiger 800 because it's got a great engine, loads of room on back but still a sensible seat height for my little legs. If it had even half a fairing it would be perfect! !
Old 01-06-13, 05:41 PM   #10
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju View Post
So a well suspended 750cc SV built by Triumph would be perfect. But they didn't do one.

So I am REALLY stuck for choices. I find nothing that isnt too tall, too ugly, too heavy, economical and a great all rounder.
Why don't you tell us the ones you've discounted because of the tall/ ugly/ heavy criteria. It will stop us suggesting something you've already decided no to.

Before you do, the first bit quoted above sounds a bit like a Suzuki GSR750, not as popular as the Street Triple so can be had cheaper. For more comfort the GSX-F (although I suspect that may be in your "heavy" category).