SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-01-06, 05:13 PM   #1
localhost

Default Photography

I have decided to get back into photography and ordered a camera yesterday (hope to get it delivered tomorrow)

The camera takes both microdrive and xd memory, but im not sure which one to go for.
Anyone have any sugestions?
Old 19-01-06, 06:08 PM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

35mm mate, prefebly black and white.

Now thats real photography
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-06, 06:16 PM   #3
Mr Toad

By microdrive, I assume you mean Compact Flash ?

Obviously they are different size memory sticks, but for all intents & purposes you can assume their performance will be the same, so go for the one that gives you more bang for your buck, ie bigger capacity for a given amount of cash.

You can stump up for a large capacity one (say 1GB), but 2*512MB cards may be cheaper, and you'll have a bit of redundancy if one breaks (or you drop it in your coffee )

Don't worry about the speed of the card - unless you're firing off a constant stream of pictures (like with a motorwind in the good old days ) you don't need to buy a 'fast' one

HTH

ps - what camera have you bought
Old 19-01-06, 07:21 PM   #4
will

likewise, just getting back into photography. have bought a canon eos 350d. I've not had a moment to use it yet so it's rather an expensive ornament right now.

Spidey: 35mm film, how quaint
Old 19-01-06, 07:41 PM   #5
localhost

Hi.

Thanks for the replies.

The camera i bought is this one

I thought about getting an SLR but then i can't afford getting all the lenses and what not, so i stick to this one.
All i have to do now is get my self a hoya R72 IR filter. Allways wanted one of thouse.

Seems like CF is cheaper.

Tomorrow my camera should arrive.
Quite excited!

Gonna go down to jessops for a cheap small tripod i can fit in my bag as well so i can bring that with me.

\o/
Old 19-01-06, 07:54 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by will
likewise, just getting back into photography. have bought a canon eos 350d. I've not had a moment to use it yet so it's rather an expensive ornament right now.

Nothing beats the thrill of standing in a dark room, under the glow of the red light and jiggling the paper in the develpoing fluid until the image starts to appear.

When i was a kid i used to dream about doing that some day. So i did my GCSE and A level in photography and loved very second of it.

brings back fond memories just thinking about it.

Digital just dont give you that thrill so its not my bag
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-06, 07:55 PM   #7
amarko5

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost
Hi.

Thanks for the replies.

Seems like CF is cheaper.

\o/
CF is cheaper and in abundant supply nearly everywhere, it is also a very robust medium (but dont go microdrive) speed does matter and you should be able to find 1 gig sandisk ultra 3 cards for around 80 quid or cheaper if you use the net or ebay.

I used a microdrive quite a lot one day it was full of an hours worth of bikers going over hartside. i fumbled when removing it from the camera it dropped a mere .75 of a metre onto tarmac and was totally goosed.

stick with the solid state mem cards as opposed to the microdrives

BTW loocs like a nice camera hope to see some of your efforts soon.
Old 19-01-06, 08:32 PM   #8
Cronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
Nothing beats the thrill of standing under the red light and jiggling
Too much information!
Old 19-01-06, 08:58 PM   #9
localhost

The idea of film is quite nice, but i don't have the skill or the money to develop film and get all the kit needed.

This is a subject debated for way to long.
I do belive it's a personal preference in the end.

Besides, it's not all point and click, we still need to have fresh batteries

Now all i have to do is hope that jessops have the filters and tripod i have, and my weekend is all sorted!
Old 19-01-06, 09:04 PM   #10
amarko5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
Quote:
Originally Posted by will

Nothing beats the thrill of standing in a dark room, under the glow of the red light and jiggling the paper in the develpoing fluid until the image starts to appear.

When i was a kid i used to dream about doing that some day. So i did my GCSE and A level in photography and loved very second of it.

brings back fond memories just thinking about it.

Digital just dont give you that thrill so its not my bag
Each to their own spidey I have been there and done that, and spent a fortune doing it too.

digital is the way to go for definite. and you can still have the same hours of fun in a digital darkroom (adobe ps) and have fun with priter matching colours and scale.

so it all ends up the same in my eyes you get what you create both in the shot and afterwards in the darkroom