SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-06-19, 08:13 AM   #11
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Ethanol E15 in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post

diesel, petrol? Would you say the engines were designed for similar purposes? I'm sure if the SV were tuned for similar performance as the Nissan, its fuel consumption would improve.

I remember a post on another (inferior ) forum once asking how somoene could get similar mpg out of his 600cc bike as he used to get out of his 125. The answer was to ride it as if it's a 125 ! No sudden acceleration... spend a lot of time at least 10mph under the speed limit.... never go above 55/60mph etc. I think if you did this you'd get surprisingly better mpg on most bikes most of the time. But as Seeker points outs, bikes are tuned for their purpose and quite often that purpose is fun.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 08:20 AM   #12
punyXpress
Mega Poster

Minor detail. but Vivergo closed down last September!
As an aside, I fitted a new red fibre washer to the petrol tap on my scooter 3 weeks ago.
The following morning said washer was destroyed - it had the consistency of pancake mix!
Old 02-06-19, 08:28 AM   #13
Talking Heads

Seeker, this is a quote from your link: "Ethanol contains about one-third less energy than gasoline. So, vehicles will typically go 3% to 4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 and 4% to 5% fewer on E15 than on 100% gasoline."

So 5% less mileage for 15% less fossil fuel used is A Good Thing.

My wife's X-trail is a FWD 1.6 diesel, it very rarely gets used in city traffic, its mostly rural roads and A-roads.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 08:33 AM   #14
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
But as Seeker points outs, bikes are tuned for their purpose and quite often that purpose is fun.
Definitely true.
Fun is why I have an SVAL7 and not an NC750S.
In retrospect I was being too harsh saying the SV mpg is ****e, the economy on the SV can be better if I change how I ride it....
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 03:48 PM   #15
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Probably the corn growers lobbyists.....

Using existing food producing land, ploughing up presently fallow land or burning down rainforest to grow crops for fuel has always seemed like the lunatics took over the asylum to me, especially when scientific opinion ( as opposed to government or lobbyist propaganda ) seems to find that making fuel in this way can raise total Co2 emission a lot.

https://www.ecowatch.com/study-shows...881906764.html

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 02-06-19 at 04:10 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 08:33 PM   #16
JM2

My, there is some rubbish being quoted re fuels.

Don't put Avgas in any modern car and certainly any bike you pay tax (ved) on - it'll not be pretty after many miles (and certainly not euro 3/4... compliant anymore).

E10 is actually just around the corner here - be vocal, it isn't necessarily a good thing.

One of the worst casualities of too much ethanol (for bikes, so far) seems to be plastic tanks de Dukes and MVs. I'm not sure modern engines get so upset.

Given that I prefer not to use even cheapie supermarket fuels and I'd avoid E-anything given a choice; I'm certainly not looking forward to E10 on our forecourts and wouldn't take a free tankful of avgas. But, I can be a fuss-pot sometimes.
JM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 06:36 AM   #17
Seeker
Mega Poster

My reference to avgas was wrong. The light aviation guy I spoke to told me that they had car and bike users filling up and I assumed it was avgas, in fact it was ethanol free petrol (mogas?) they were getting.

Since we often follow America's "lead", I've already written to my MP indicating my opposition to any increase in ethanol percentage.

Apparently, there is no legal requirement for super (97) petrol to contain ethanol which isn't the same as it not being added. Esso super (except in Scotland, Teeside, Devon, Cornwall) is ethanol free.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 09:36 PM   #18
Heorot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Definitely true.
Fun is why I have an SVAL7 and not an NC750S.
In retrospect I was being too harsh saying the SV mpg is ****e, the economy on the SV can be better if I change how I ride it....
So true. I booked a NC750 for a test ride last year. After seeing that I ride a SV650 the salesman didn't think I would like it. He was right: after 10 minutes I turned round and took the bike back. 750cc? more like 350cc. Dull.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-19, 08:21 AM   #19
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
So true. I booked a NC750 for a test ride last year. After seeing that I ride a SV650 the salesman didn't think I would like it. He was right: after 10 minutes I turned round and took the bike back. 750cc? more like 350cc. Dull.

NC750 is basically half a Jazz ( Fit in USA) car engine - that is why it only revs to just over 6000, the Jazz is renowned for its mpg but not its power..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-19, 01:19 PM   #20
Scittyf

Indeed not huge HP (in fact the SV400 makes similar hp figures) but it does have an incredibly flat torque curve because of the size of engine. Just depends what you want though.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote