SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-02-07, 07:36 PM   #1
falc

Default Petition against "sticky grit" de-icing strategy..

I know there are a few of these floating about but this one caught my eye.

Heres a link to the article http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/13/sticky_grit/ and a link directly to the petition http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/slippyroads/
Old 13-02-07, 07:49 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Is this the stuff thats kinda, powdery and spreads all over the road?

Matt
Old 14-02-07, 03:34 PM   #3
lawsonium

Well, I haven't ridden on any sticky based grit (as far as I know) and don't like treating my SV to a dose of corrosion if I can help it but I have driven a car in Alaska and they basically spray what appears to be mostly a molasses based mix which (due to the extreme cold) doesn't attempt to melt the ice but coat the surface of the ice/snow with a grippy surface.
God knows what it would be like to ride on but it seemes better and less messy than our tons and tons of salt solution in this country.

I am going to be hiring a bike of some description for a few days in Alaska this summer, there will be now snow and ice to contend with on the highways that time of year but the roads are interesting thuogh. Due to deep deep deep permafrost the roads have huge bumps and ruts appearing which they can't do anything about so after 20 miles of perfectly smooth road you suddenly get a bump which at 50Mph ni a car can get all 4 wheels off the road hahaha and I'm planning to hire a Harley probably hahaha.
The hire place does have some GS and GS Adventures, a VStrom and a KLR600 though so maybe one of those would be the wiser choice.

Sorry, that went no a bit

MAtt.
Old 14-02-07, 06:42 PM   #4
independentphoto

So that's the devil is it?

Funnily enough I've found a few uncharacteristically (?) slippery spots in the cage recently. A couple of roundabouts in particular where pehaps the old grit wagon would go around a few times to get in and out of the different schemes / car parks have found the normally good Firestones feeling a little twitchy.

Garry