SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-07-05, 07:56 PM   #1
AlanSv

Default Report - European Superbike school - Silverstone 28/7

Just back from a excellent day at Silverstone on the European Superbike SPORTS day.

ok so it rained in the morning.... what great fun we had taking bends at 60-70mph while the back was sliding... never get to do that much on the roads, or on the dry track. Afternoon was dry and great fun.

I was a bit worried after being sent out with a transponder when starting the first session in the novice group, and starting the 2nd session in the Advanced group. Thats another thing that made this day great, we were all timed, and then the groups were recreated based on the timings. I had great fun all day, but the amazing thing was watching several racers in our group getting their knee down in pouring rain (as they were on wets).

Basically the ESS SPORTS day is like a track day, only with 3 or 4 times as many instructors (you get 1 session with the instructor in a group of 3 students every 3 track sessions), you get 20mins on the track, a 20min break, then a 20min seminar, then out again for your next track session.

I spent 3 SESSIONS, not just laps, with my group's Instructor (James) learning the the track and getting my position / braking, turning in points, and advice on leaning off the bike properly. You dont get that at a normal track day.

Seminars were on

Silverstone Track lines (including Racing and defensive lines),
Proper maintenance for racing,
Braking and control,
Observation (brake points, turning points, apexes etc),
Race preparation and the Psychology of racing,
Suspension (adjustment, servicing etc),

On top of all this, you got the option of taking out a Ducati 749 and 999 (although I didnt take this up due to the £500 excess clause and the rain)

I even met a lovely lady who rode a Blue SV650s (pointy) and gave her the site details.

Top day, ok it rained, but I still learned something from the wet, and I've picked up some skills that I may never have got from trackdays alone. it costs £200, but I'd highly recommend anyone who is a novice at trackdays to spend the money, you'll learn the skills which you can then practice or hone at normal trackdays afterwards.

I'm definately thinking of doing another, but maybe in the intermediates next time
Old 29-07-05, 05:53 PM   #2
SPeeeeDY

That sounded like a pretty cool day. I guess it would have been better in the dry!

I kant wait for my track day, although i am wishing i booked one of those training days instead!!!

SPeeeeDY