SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-01-17, 08:53 PM   #4071
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Most business people who are 'successful' have probably failed more than 4 times and most politicians have only reached their present positions by wheeling and dealing and have probably done more harm to people and more dirty deals with party donors than Trump ever has. You only have to look at Tony B Liars cash for honours scandal as an example. Career politicians are a dirty, deceitful bunch, mostly in it for themselves ( cue Neil Kinnock and extended family oink oink making millions out of EU gravy trough).

I am amazed that democrats have not asked for election to be rerun because they are not happy with result, seems to be the go these days, just look at EU remoaners (sorry losers)

Saw in paper today lib dems want to rerun brexit vote and give votes to 16 year olds.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 11-01-17 at 09:08 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 10:51 PM   #4072
embee
Mega Poster

Interesting debates about Trump. I wouldn't have wanted either candidate to be honest, what a choice.

As said by others, the media take him literally but not seriously, the public take him seriously but not literally.

I'm appalled by the blatantly partisan approach being demonstrated by the media, especially the BBC. Just watched the BBC report of today's stuff and it's dreadful, it is all presented such that it presumes what the media and the "sources" tell is gospel truth, and that what Trump says is lies. Trump doesn't trust the "Intelligence" services, well do you?

There was a clip showing the appointed Secretary of State being quizzed as to whether he would accuse Putin of war crimes based on what's happened in Syria and Aleppo. He said he wanted more detail before laying accusation.
Like the US and the West are squeaky clean. Does no-one remember Iraq? Does no-one remember the 90 odd civilians bombed at a wedding party in Pakistan? Does no-one remember Iran Air Flight 655? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655
A touch of hypocrisy there I think.

I don't know whether Trump will be any good, but it sure makes interesting watching to see how it'll work out with someone in the White House who doesn't give a **** who he offends or takes on in a fight. He's torn up the rule book and the establishment don't know how to deal with it.
Old 12-01-17, 09:52 AM   #4073
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The entrenched career politicians in the USA were incandescent with rage when 'an outsider' dared to run for president and they wrote him off and used smear tactics to try an discredit him, now he is president they have not given up, and neither has the BBC - I have also seen the way the BBC handles stuff, and all their hard earned reputation for being fair and impartial has been very badly dented with the way they report things these days (have they got a raving liberal in charge these days ?). You are actually better off watching Al Jazerah ?

I link Brexit and Trump because the same phenomena was in play, voters fed up with the present political elite who nowadays seem to take no notice of the voters and plow on regardless with their politically correct but morally wrong plans. The 'Elite' in UK have been criticised for not planning for Brexit, the reason is such a result was never on their radar and they were shocked to the core, Cameron rightly resigned but not soon enough, he was obviously such a died in the wool remaniac that he never even negotiated with the EU before referendum, he came back with empty hands except for a 'peace in our time' note from Junkers and then tried to tell us how successful he had been in negotiating a damned good deal for us plebs and we should jolly well be grateful for any crumbs from the EU high table.

I watch Trump with interest and not a small amount of affection for slapping the political dynasties (the Bushes and the Clintons mainly) in the face. If Hillary had put her rampant ambition to be first woman president aside and backed Bernie Sanders we may well be looking at a Democratic President now, but her ego was just too big to realise that most of the women in USA hated her too much to vote for her.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 12-01-17, 12:42 PM   #4074
DuncanC

The main reason Obama didn't make the difference expected of him was that both of the houses that really control what happens in the US were republican. This is still true so no matter how out there and radical Trump wants to be the Americans will only get what traditional republicans want. So nothing has changed or will change. Except the comedy value of future presidential press conferences.
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 05:41 PM   #4075
SV650rules
Mega Poster

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/01/b...-of-a-failure/

The Spectator reckons that Obama never grasped what his job was supposed to be and surrounded himself with lack-lustre under-achievers (that is what happens when you pick your staff from the Democratic party where there is a limited choice of achievers).

Spectator got it wrong when they credit Obama administration with developing drones though, the yanks threw loads of money at developing drones and failed, then someone noticed that the Israelis were using drones with great success, the yanks got the Israelis to help them and voila - as usual the yanks take the credit, some things never change.

Old 12-01-17, 06:25 PM   #4076
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
The gripe de jour at Trev Towers is... the fridge. The compressor is on almost permanently and I've checked the easy things: pulled it out and dusted off the condenser coils (amazingly clean already) and cleaned the door seals. The latter are looking very stiff and seem shot so ordered new ones but it will be sod's law the motor burns out before they arrive. Hope it's not the thermostat as it will be cheaper to buy a new fridge.
Well the parts guy took so long getting me a new thermostat the refrigerant has probably all run away as the inside of the fridge is now warmer than the kitchen. HOWEVER, this is not my gripe of the day. That honour is reserved for Currys. We nipped out to avoid the evening rush, picked up a replacement fridge and got back before it started snowing feeling pleased with ourseves. BUT, I was about to cut the box open only to find they'd wheeled out the wrong one! AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH! Back in the car, through the rush hour, in the snow, managed not to swear at them too much, got the right box, managed not to swear at the imbeciles using the wrong lanes to jump the queues too much (that's a fib), and the new fridge is settling before we switch it on. Knowing my luck it will blow up.
Old 12-01-17, 06:31 PM   #4077
Trev B

The whole thing about politics is....it's all like a giant snow dome,it's all nice and settled until someone comes along and gives it a good shaking,but no matter how violent it's shaken it all settles back down after a while. What a politician says he or she is going to do,is far different from what they actually can do. !!!
Old 12-01-17, 06:56 PM   #4078
pookie

not enough snow.. i've waited 5 years .. now bucket down so I can fit my snow tyres ( push bike )
Now - 2010 Triton blue sv650s -Back to the future

Last edited by pookie; 12-01-17 at 07:07 PM.
pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 07:35 PM   #4079
maviczap
Mega Poster

My daughters been waiting 4 years to ride her snow scooter, she'll be too big to use it if don't get a dump of it soon
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 08:37 PM   #4080
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

It's snowing. I don't like snow.