SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-07-11, 08:33 PM   #1
yoda650

Default Fitting "S" Front End to a Naked SV. (Curvy)

As title, what's involved in fitting a faired front end, (fairing, lights, screen, mirrors etc) to a naked SV?

Are the clocks the same? Heard that the wiring loom requires to be split for twin headlights, are all switches etc the same? Are all fixing points on the naked SV for front fairing?

Bob.
Old 10-07-11, 10:23 PM   #2
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fitting "S" Front End to a Naked SV. (Curvy)

Apart from the stuff you've mentioned, you'll need the front subframe plus two small brackets that attach to the frame on each side. The locating points for these are all on the naked frame. The radiator is different - the fairing has lugs that connect to the rad. You could make it work without these but swapping rads might actually make you a couple of quid - naked parts are rarer and fetch a premium.

In terms of wiring, the faired bike has a sub-loom that runs the lights and clocks (the clocks are different). I'm not sure if this sub-loom connects straight up to the naked loom or if you'd need to change the entire loom (or butcher the existing one).

What about fairing clearance for the bars? Are you thinking about swapping to clipons too? If so, you could be quids in again swapping the yokes etc, but you're also looking at changing cables/brake lines.

Much easier just to buy a faired bike.

If you want to drop by mine one night you can take a look at what's involved on the faired bike. Give me a wee bit of notice and I'll whip the fairing off so we can compare loom connectors etc.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 10:55 PM   #3
yoda650

I've been toying with selling up and buying a faired model but mines such low mileage and good condition I'm a tad reluctant hence the ideas of fitting a faired front end. However it doesn't sound as easy as I'd assumed nor as cheap. I've bought a Puig flyscreen since last time we spoke and it's an improvement at speed, not sure if a faired front end will be dramatically better. Food for thought.

Ill defo pop up some time for a wee look and suss things out but I think you've put me off it, I thought it would just be a bolt on job.

Bob.
Old 10-07-11, 11:17 PM   #4
TamSV
Mega Poster

You could always find someone who wants to change the other way and swap for all the right bits. Like this guy, for example.

I've replied on both these threads and only just twigged. Bit slow tonight.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-11, 08:43 AM   #5
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
You could always find someone who wants to change the other way and swap for all the right bits. Like this guy, for example.

I've replied on both these threads and only just twigged. Bit slow tonight.
I join you on that list Tam

I've got a set of S clocks if you need them £60 posted

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-11, 09:17 AM   #6
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

You need to change whole loom, switchgear is different too.
Old 11-07-11, 02:53 PM   #7
yoda650

I think you guys have talked me out of it, I'll just stick to the Puig flyscreen. Don't like the idea of swapping clocks etc when the value in my bike's the mere 6000miles on the clock, just keep the originals.

Bob.
Old 12-07-11, 09:05 AM   #8
davegixer1300r

I have a low mileage curvy w plate full fairing yellow 10k skowing on the clock its going to the track so the clocks fairing headlights mirrors and front part of the loom are going. make an offer for the bits you want if you still want to fit a fairing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01058.jpg (127.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-07-11, 09:08 AM   #9
davegixer1300r

pretty sure switch gear is same std suzuki it has a link in the loom for the faring lights etc same switches as my bandit gsxf and hayabusa.
Old 12-07-11, 11:29 AM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegixer1300r View Post
pretty sure switch gear is same std suzuki it has a link in the loom for the faring lights etc same switches as my bandit gsxf and hayabusa.
Switch gear is same but connectors have longer wire on S model, conenctors may be different too.