SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-12-06, 11:52 AM   #1
skint

Default Water efficiency

For all you builders, architects and so on out there - the Govt is proposing new building regulations to deal with Water Efficiency in New Buildings. http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1505175

And as a reminder - new Fire Safety regs (Part B) commence April 07 http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...000000084.html
Old 28-12-06, 11:58 AM   #2

not surprised, its sort of already been introduced in some respects in public buildings with taps on timers & air mixers etc.. i wonder how that will effect our nursing homes (ill guess i should read it then)
Old 28-12-06, 12:10 PM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

I live in london. Thames water waste more water than is consumed. i think its cheeky to apply regs, when the water companies cant even sort it at source/supply!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-06, 12:13 PM   #4
skint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819
not surprised, its sort of already been introduced in some respects in public buildings with taps on timers & air mixers etc.. i wonder how that will effect our nursing homes (ill guess i should read it then)
Won't affect existing buildings nor is it intended to affect good sanitation, hygiene etc. It will most likely be to require better more efficient appliances and fittings such as lower flush needs for toilets, so in terms of providing care or manufacturing etc it shouldn't be a problem
Old 28-12-06, 12:18 PM   #5
skint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
I live in london. Thames water waste more water than is consumed. i think its cheeky to apply regs, when the water companies cant even sort it at source/supply!
that is part of the bigger picture but wouldn't be enough on its own, there will still be a need to use water more wisely - even if £bn's are spent on stopping leaks
Old 28-12-06, 05:54 PM   #6
Ed

drink beer instead :P
Old 29-12-06, 12:24 PM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

Somebody probably thinks it is a good idea. However there are problems.

I give you as an example our new dual flush toilet. Because it fails to properly flush away "Solids", It gets flushed twice/three times per poo.

Now the wife and I will occasionally share a bath, However our shower cubicle is not large enough for two to share the shower, so again a bath can be just as efficient etc.

I have a sink built into the back lawn (about 20 gallon capacity) to take the excess surface water. This in turn waters the front /back gardens and directs overflow into the drainage system instead of flowing down the drive like the river that existed before I fitted drainage. Having this water saving mechanism has totally wrecked my concrete drive as the underlying clay has shifted with the change in ground water