SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 22-01-20, 07:52 PM   #1
DJ123
Mega Poster

Lightbulb Scotland/NC 500

Evening All,

In June I'm planning on spending a week/9 days in Scotland on the bike. I'll be basing myself out of Fort William and doing mostly day trips out and about from there.
I'd like to have a good mix of roads to go ride and attractions/scenery to go see. Any recommendations for those requirements?

I'll be cheating slightly by trailering the bike up there rather than enduring the motorway for a 1,000 mile round trip.

TIA

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-20, 09:00 PM   #2
Chris_SVS

Default Re: Scotland/NC 500

Lance will be with you shortly
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-20, 05:21 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

for whats its worth i would not base myself at ft billy but rather leave the car/trailer at the border and stay at a different place each night working my way up the east coast then back down the west.

i would recommend Bellingham as a place to leave the car.

mind you i would leave the car/trailer at home, its an adventure.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-20, 06:15 PM   #4
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Yeah I would agree. If you're planning to do the 500 route up north, it would be too much for a day trip from Fort William. You would need to spend the night somewhere.

I'd recommend Applecross, Smoo Cave waterfall and Loch Naver

If you want recommendations further east of Fort William let me know
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 01:57 PM   #5
DJ123
Mega Poster

I'd leave the car at home, if it wasn't a 1000 mile round trip just to get there & back . . . I've done the roads in between so there's no value in me taking a couple of days to get there/back on the bike.

Long days are fine for me, I'm up there for the scenery as well as the roads. I'm not fixed to one location, but FT William seems like a good base point.

I'm not planning on doing the whole NC500 route, but the best parts of it and other areas that are scenic/good riding roads. I have 7 days or so, enough days for riding/resting and getting most bits in.
Durness would be a night away trip and making a day of it riding there/back and cover a good few miles.

BMW F800ST
Old 28-01-20, 11:32 AM   #6
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

I would forget the NC 500 if you are staying in FW. For the NC 500 you really need to be up at Inverness or Ullapool. West is best. Nearly all single trackers.

Dont know how much you have been up here on a bike so I would recommend from FW:

South...Kinlochleven loop (B863) then down to Connel (bridge/Falls of Lorra if you are lucky with the tide) onto Oban for food (A82 across to Dalmally (A85) to Tyndrum then back through Glencoe.

West... Out the A830 Glenfinnan ("that" bridge from "those" films) onto A861 head south to Ardnamurchan Lighthouse. Back via Strontian and the east side. Would love to recommend Mull, but I would want to be staying on the island.

North... Isle of Skye, Portree, Uig (The Fairy Glen/ Skye Brewery!!!) The Quiraing over to the east and down. Loop round to Plockton back on the mainland.
Applecross of course.Work your way back from Shieldag. I would recommend doing this loop on a separate day.

East... Cairngorms. Spean Bridge (Commando Memorial) then off the A86 at Kinguissie for the B970. Take a right at the end of this quiet gem and head up to the ski slopes. A full loop would be over to Tomintoul/Braemar/Spittal of Glenshee (I would say this part is a must) About 250 miles but good roads.

Hope that gives you some thoughts, 7 days is great. Better chance of getting some "good" ie dry weather. Some of these roads are as spectacular as I have ridden so dont worry about repeat rides on them, especially tackled from the opposite direction (feels completely new!)

Last edited by STRAMASHER; 29-01-20 at 08:20 AM.
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-20, 07:54 PM   #7
DJ123
Mega Poster

Ive done a lot of driving around the Glasgow/Edinburgh belt + around Loch Lomond up to Fort William. So my experience of anything further north is non existent!

Thanks for the pointer on the routes, I'll throw some destinations/roads in to Tyre and load them up for you to check it out.

I'm happy to stay nights away and make a trip of it, as it's not something I imagine I would do again for some years to come as I would be heading to the continent (if I'm allowed in!).

I completely agree about riding a road each way, it's like a different route all together. And you notice other scenery you don't before too!

BMW F800ST
Old 03-02-20, 01:40 PM   #8
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

https://youtu.be/HsE6cQfHfms ... a wee taster and not a bad watch. You have a much better idea to fire up here in June!
STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-20, 07:23 PM   #9
DJ123
Mega Poster

Obviously i've now delayed this trip! Pushed it out to mid July - hoping things will be more 'normal' again

BMW F800ST
Old 13-06-20, 09:12 PM   #10
TEC

If you have places to kip booked, makes sure they are still in business before you head up. Know of a few of the more remote hotels have fully closed and they do not know if/when they will re-open