SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-09-20, 08:23 PM   #11
gadget

Default Re: New helmet, new perceptions....

Well ... I did a bit of testing today with my Scorpion exo air, whilst riding about 60mph, pushed myself as far upright as I could without letting go of the clipons and hey presto ... wind noise all but disappeared. So I have now come to the conclusion it's the angle of my 'S' screen that's the culprit! I was thinking of now investing in a 'double bubble' screen to see if it helps in any way.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 08:30 PM   #12
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
My Scorpion Exo-1400 Air is noisy without Ear plugs, but i find that with all makes of Helmet.

It's a good fit all round too, although occasionally i find it can feel a bit tight on the temples - mostly if it is a very hot day (probably something to do with my head too). Other than that it's a great fit and i have no issues. Used it nearly daily the last 18 months/15K miles and it's been good.

To add; the headset also fits well thanks to cut out outs for the speakers too.
Your head swells when it's hot

My lid has jade encrusted lining to stop this (all marketing BS, it's just green)
Old 01-09-20, 08:36 PM   #13
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
Well ... I did a bit of testing today with my Scorpion exo air, whilst riding about 60mph, pushed myself as far upright as I could without letting go of the clipons and hey presto ... wind noise all but disappeared. So I have now come to the conclusion it's the angle of my 'S' screen that's the culprit! I was thinking of now investing in a 'double bubble' screen to see if it helps in any way.
What you need is a naked bike. Smooooooth and quiet
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 09:28 PM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
I have the exo air, it has the pump up cheek pads, have to say the overall package is as good as any of my previous lids ... Arai, Shoei, AGV etc. Its very light too. Not sure whether it's the actual lid that's noisy or the air rush over the screen. Now getting used to wearing earplugs so it's all good. Got mine from MPS, promotion price was £130!
I fitted a small MRA flyscreen to my AL7 and regretted it as the previous smooth airflow was now turbulent and helmet noise went up a lot ( and did not notice any fewer flies hitting me ), first I cut the 70mm upturned bit off the top of screen and it was a bit quieter, then I angled the screen back and a bit quieter but still not anywhere near as quiet as before, the screen was angled back so much the only thing it was doing was keeping the rain off my instrument cluster ( and I never voluntarily ride in the rain ) so I took screen off and hardly noticed the difference in wind, but now ride is much quieter...

I actually think bike makers test naked bikes in a wind tunnel and somehow manage to make the bits of plastic around the headlight deflect the wind without making it turbulent. I learned my lesson about screens though.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 02-09-20 at 08:03 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 10:13 PM   #15
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post

Agreed. Riding my Street Triple is much quieter than all the bikes with screens and add-on screens / wind deflectors I've tried. Gets cold very quickly though.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 10:03 AM   #16
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Well, the NXR Shoei has proved to be a good lid except that.... it still gets me across the forehead. However, over the course of a couple of days riding that has eased considerably as I've slightly reshaped the polystyrene across the front. The problem seems to be that it's cut to a fairly sharp angle, so I have been easing it a little at a time with my thumb. It is now much improved without sacrificing the good fit. I need one more little go at it when I'm out next.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 05:15 PM   #17
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post

Hahaa, yeah you may be right, but couldn't possibly sell my 'S', just love it's looks ... even though its deafening me!

Last edited by gadget; 02-09-20 at 05:18 PM.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote