SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-07-13, 02:49 PM   #11
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Default Re: FAO Monkey (or anyone wanting to do some smoking)

Check you out Stretch...being all responsible and stuff.

Have to say, the fish we have done on the smoker has been amazing!!!
Old 14-10-13, 02:44 PM   #12
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Bit delayed in posting this, however I'd like to extend both my immense gratitude, but also scold Stretchie and GruntyGiggles for ruining and enhancing my life at the same time.

I've taken on board the immense instructions in the pdf that teach you how to smoke (they're really easy to follow and work well), as well as getting some personal hints & tips via pm from them both.

I have to say, they're both really kind and helpful, but unfortunately, any spare time I did have is now severely limited by my new smoking habit.

I had a knee op recently and was off work for a couple of weeks. I decided to put my mind to good use and got the missus to collect one of these for me.

It was around £30 of Fleabay and comes well engineered (German) and with a thermometer built in. Bonus!

I then got some beef skirt, made my own rub and got this puppy ready to be smoked...

Some hours later

It was well received by les famile

So...with the virgin smoking out of the way, I then moved onto my first pork shoulder. £22 for around 5kg of finest pork shoulder (bone in).

I cut the skin back and applied my rub (probably wouldn't do this next time) and then got it ready to go.

Now the scary bit.....to smoke something this big, you need to give it around 15-18hrs. Considering I was looking to have this for a BBQ on a Sunday afternoon, I had to get it on around 11pm the night before.

So on it went on the Saturday night (no pics sorry, I'd had a few beers and it was dark!) and this was it the following morning at around 11am.

I took it off the smoker (temp was dropping anyway), wrapped it in foil and bunged it in the oven for the remaining 5hrs.

Et Voila!

This was THE most succulent pork I have ever tasted. There were a few learning points, but these mostly related to the preparation, such as needing to add a little more salt to the rub (I thought the meat would be quite salty anyway, although it wasn't) and also, when I put it in the smoker and the oven, I'd laid it down on the skin, when I think I should probably have had it skin side up to get some decent crackling.

Anyways, it was amazing, so thanks again to Stretchie and Grunty!
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-13, 04:08 PM   #13
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Wow, that looks fab Nobby

Hahaha, welcome to the club. Personally, I'd just take the skin off. It just stops the smoke getting into the meat and the low temp means you won't get crispy crackling anyway. Just save the skin and make crackling in the oven

Fab job, say goodbye to your waist!
Old 14-10-13, 07:35 PM   #14
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Ha haa, my pleasure and I'm sorry.

Looking good pal, as I mentioned on PM just forget the skin, maybe make crackling in the oven with it but take it off for smoking but leave a nice layer of fat on there a couple of mm thick and have it fat side up to self baste.

Next up... ribs

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote