SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-03-17, 11:33 AM   #11
tom_e

Default Re: Bob's Track Project

Strip the rear brake down and replace the seals and change the fluid also clean and lube the pedal pivot. My rear felt the same, done all that and it's now much stronger and has decent modulation rather than just on/off.

I also wouldn't bother with a slipper clutch, it's quite easy to lock the rear on a twin if you're not used to them but give it a bit of time and you'll get a feel for it. I'll only lock up the rear these days if I'm really smashing through the gears and being a bit hamfisted with the clutch.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-17, 10:39 PM   #12
CB500Racer

as tom_e says they take a bit of getting used to coming down the box, blipping the throttle as you change down helps. You can buy sigma slipper clutches, but they don't last long esp considering they are £600 plus. Enjoy the track day, next step is minitwin racing......
CB500Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-17, 11:42 PM   #13
DomP

I'm so glad to read someone talking about the sv in such glowing terms, so often they get trashed. Mine is my first 'big bike' and I love it, got to love the Vtwin sound.
Old 11-03-17, 12:17 AM   #14
CB500Racer

The SV is a budget bike in almost all aspects, however it does what it is designed to very well and with a few tweaks it is also a good race bike, the fast lads are currently lapping Oulton Park 1m.48s. those that knock it are usually the 1000cc straight line brigade.
CB500Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-17, 09:52 PM   #15
Redmist

Great write up Bob, pleased to have another convert

I forgot to add my ten penneth about "the tall guy" features I've found to work.

For instance, rearsets! I bought and since discarded some fancy racey ones because I simply could not fold my legs onto them comfortably even on most lowest / forward settings. Hence I use standard ones on a riser plate.
This gives sufficient ground clearance (for now at least) and don't lift the pegs too high, somewhere between standard ones and aftermarket.

That was combined with a much raised seat too. Sadly I'm not sure Rob at RVRacing is still active, but he made mine with a few extra inches in its height than even his normal race ones.

Sadly it means I'm more on the bike than in it, which I think hinders me a little, but still at least I can manage a full day on track without crippling myself.

My clipons are standard and comfortable enough, I've toyed with the thought of some wider ones (I have some woodcraft ones in my spares kit) but not yet felt the need.

Hope that helps and enjoy the SV now the secret is out!

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-17, 03:38 PM   #16
UKBob23

So, I've had more time tinkering with the bike. I've stripped the side fairings off and done an oil & filter service and coolant service too.

Due to the coolant service I've had to get under the tank to get to the overflow reservoir. Was pleased to see the airbox fully intact and no nasty butchering of any of the wiring loom, so all good there

The front sprocket has seen better days and has shark toothed a bit so got one of those ordered and next step will be to replace that and do the brakes fluids and clean the calipers/pistons.

Speaking of brakes, the brake lines are Goodridge. Are these fitted as standard or have they been done? They are not race-style split lines from the mastercylinder though. The split is above the mudguard. I may change them anyway for the sake of £50.

I'm wondering if my 2007 R1 track fairings will fit this bike. Would save me buying a new set and the air intakes are under the headlights in both cases. I reckon with a bit of bracket fabrication I could get it to fit. Has anyone done it with R1 fairings?

I'm going to need some kind of race subframe for the rear to get the track seat on I reckon. I've never bothered fitting the track rear end on my R1 and just changed the good road panels for a cheap ones off ebay I sprayed up, so don't have any experience with track rears. I always wanted to be able to get the R1 back on the road easily but this SV is just for the track so want to strip it all down and get the weight down.

Redmist - thanks for the comments. The seat seems to be fine and I like the confident feel it gives sitting "in" the bike. Feels less precarious than my R1, being so close to the floor which instills confidence and I'm hoping will make it easier to get my knee down. Sadly this is my number one goal this season. Ive scraped footpegs and no chicken strips on the tyres so I'm getting it over far enough. Just need to focus on body position I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1848[1].jpg (126.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by UKBob23; 15-03-17 at 03:42 PM.
Old 15-03-17, 03:59 PM   #17
tom_e

Goodrich are an aftermarket addition, these just come with normal rubber hoses as standard.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-17, 04:07 PM   #18
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

As Tom says they are after market lines and I prefer the single line to a split at the front Brake master cylinder and over the guard.Much cleaner looking system IMHO and does away with the T-junction.

My 2 cents
Old 17-03-17, 09:05 AM   #19
UKBob23

Bled all brakes yesterday. The front was a doddle but when I came to the rear I realised why the rear brake felt like crap. I went to push the pedal down with my hand to pump new fluid through the system and it wouldn't budge. The lever was pretty much welded to the footpeg. After undoing all the bolts, some penetrating oil, and some "persuasion" I managed to get the lever off the footpeg. It was all crusted up inside and totally seized. Years of winter commuter crud probably. A bit of wire wheel treatment and some fresh grease had it all moving again and I've bled the system successfully. Not ridden her again yet but hopefully the rear brake will feel good again.

I think everything is now repaired, functional and serviced ready for my first track day
Old 27-03-17, 01:28 PM   #20
sastay

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBob23 View Post
So, I've had more time tinkering with the bike. I've stripped the side fairings off and done an oil & filter service and coolant service too.

Due to the coolant service I've had to get under the tank to get to the overflow reservoir. Was pleased to see the airbox fully intact and no nasty butchering of any of the wiring loom, so all good there

The front sprocket has seen better days and has shark toothed a bit so got one of those ordered and next step will be to replace that and do the brakes fluids and clean the calipers/pistons.

Speaking of brakes, the brake lines are Goodridge. Are these fitted as standard or have they been done? They are not race-style split lines from the mastercylinder though. The split is above the mudguard. I may change them anyway for the sake of £50.

I'm wondering if my 2007 R1 track fairings will fit this bike. Would save me buying a new set and the air intakes are under the headlights in both cases. I reckon with a bit of bracket fabrication I could get it to fit. Has anyone done it with R1 fairings?

I'm going to need some kind of race subframe for the rear to get the track seat on I reckon. I've never bothered fitting the track rear end on my R1 and just changed the good road panels for a cheap ones off ebay I sprayed up, so don't have any experience with track rears. I always wanted to be able to get the R1 back on the road easily but this SV is just for the track so want to strip it all down and get the weight down.

Redmist - thanks for the comments. The seat seems to be fine and I like the confident feel it gives sitting "in" the bike. Feels less precarious than my R1, being so close to the floor which instills confidence and I'm hoping will make it easier to get my knee down. Sadly this is my number one goal this season. Ive scraped footpegs and no chicken strips on the tyres so I'm getting it over far enough. Just need to focus on body position I think.

Hi, I am also new to the SV track bike thing, I have a minitwin spec (for trackdays only) so will be looking to up the power a little.
But as for the R1 fairings, take at look at mine, they do fit (mine are just very scruffy).
Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snap shot pics bike day 25.3.2017 lydden hill-5.jpg (81.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170129_132820.jpg (125.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170205_111832.jpg (126.8 KB, 0 views)