SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-05-17, 12:43 PM   #1
phumphreys

Default Starting to convert to track bike

Hi Guys, after for some bit by bit advice.

Have a K4 naked and stage by stage I am beginning to try and improve it for track days, not racing.

The first stage is to fit braided brake lines. What steps would you guys start to take next? I would enjoy putting track body work on bearing in mind this is a naked.

Would appreciate any advice.

phumphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-17, 07:01 AM   #2
Redmist

Default Re: Starting to convert to track bike

Depends on budget of course, but linear fork springs and fork valves do wonders for the front end (£160)
Then scrub Supercorsas (£100) and for the extra mile: Tyre warmers (£100) to maximise track time.

Good brake pads and making sure the calipers are refurbed is very worth your while.

For a start!

Want a Gyrocam for your track / road / racing videos? Gyrocam here!

Bikes: Minitwin SV650 '04. Click me!
SV650 (Now Nekked!) '04. Pictures here!
Redmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-17, 09:48 AM   #3
phumphreys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
Depends on budget of course, but linear fork springs and fork valves do wonders for the front end (£160)
Then scrub Supercorsas (£100) and for the extra mile: Tyre warmers (£100) to maximise track time.

Good brake pads and making sure the calipers are refurbed is very worth your while.

For a start!
Thanks for the advice, I had similar thoughts, have some HEL braided brake lines to fit over the weekend so I'll take a look at the calipers then. I had an idea to get a Kawa rear shock too. But all in good time....

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk
phumphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-17, 02:57 PM   #4
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Before you get stuck into incremental changes, think about a GSXR front end. On a pointy this is pretty straightforward as they share the same bearings. the brakes are going to be better anyway, and even having gone the route of springs and emulators, while the forks work better, they' don't give the same confidence as a GSXR. Plenty of info on here about how to do it, flog the stock bits on. The rear shock is pretty rubbish when you start pushing it on the track. After that, you could do a bit of tuning, and plastics would help at high speed, but get the handling sorted and you'll have a whale of a time.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote