SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-10-18, 11:15 AM   #21
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rear brake still sticking after servicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Too much fluid in the system? Is the brake lever pivot sticking?

Also what happens if you manually pull the lever up so it is definitely not applying the brake then ride it without ever using the rear brake. Does it come on by itself or only stay on after use?Try bungying the lever up while testing this to prevent it going on.Does the wheel turn freely while up on the stand?

Brake lever has been taken apart along with everything else and all seems really good. When it's all empty of fuid the lever has a really good full range of smooth movement and MC piston is moving really nicely.

The brake won't come on by itself if the piston is pushed back in and then never pressed back.

Wheel turns fine on the Abba stand with no caliper fitted or with piston pushed fully back in.

How much is too much fluid in the system? Doesn't it have to be full with no air in there?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-18, 11:29 AM   #22
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
How much is too much fluid in the system? Doesn't it have to be full with no air in there?
There should be an air space at top of reservoir.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-18, 12:29 PM   #23
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Yep. I always take note of the max line in the reservoir with cap and diaphragm refitted.

Even with reservoir cap removed it was still binding on.

New / old caliper is now refitted and preliminary bleed is looking better. Leaving it to hang higher than the reservoir for a bit then will do a final bleed and report back. Looking like it may be an issue with the other caliper.
Old 14-10-18, 04:16 PM   #24
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Older caliper is now back on the bike, including the original piston and new seals. Much better. The piston is visibly moving back a couple of mm. Pads still drag ever so slightly as is normal, but not clamping on when brake is released.
I wish I had worked out the reason for the other caliper having problems. The only thing I can guess is that the recesses that the seals sit in were too slack to lock the seals on to the piston, so no pressure to deform seals when braking and pull piston back when brake is released. So the piston was just being pushed out and not being pulled back. It did need a lot of dirt (white dust type) cleaning out of the seal recesses when I got it. Maybe enough material had corroded away to not hold the seals securely. I don't know the age or history of that caliper as it was second hand when I got it to replace the cross threaded one that I have now fixed and refitted.

Thanks all for the help and input. Quite a few bits of info and things to look out for have cropped up in this thread and feel like I've learnt a lot in the last couple of days of repeat bleeding and refitting!
Old 15-10-18, 09:27 AM   #25
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Take Biblio's advice as well and lower the rear brake lever.You shouldn't really be using the rear brake in excess on a modern bike like the SVs.

I basically only use my rear brake for slow speed manoeuvring control or when doing my monthly,"Emergency Braking" test.This is just a thing I do to test my braking system so I know it's optimal and train my Emergency-Stop technique.

I have a couple of nice straight long country roads not far from me that at the right time have no traffic on them and no side roads for a long way.I use these for my Brake-Test.None of us expect to be in an Emergency Braking system so I think it's prudent to train for it to lessen the possibility of,"Panic Braking".

I also emulate,"ABS" braking by pull and release/pedal and release so as not to lock the rear wheel and see how fast I can stop safely in a straight line.On my SV650 I can pull-up in a very short distance even from 50/60/70 miles an hour

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 15-10-18 at 09:33 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-18, 10:13 AM   #26
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

The rear brake pedal is already set as low as it can go. I have to have it set like that or my foot points upwards when using the brake with the Buell lower pegs I've got fitted. I'm similar and only really use the rear brake for slow manouvering and coming to a stop. Sometimes blip it to flash the brake lights if engine braking. Most of the time my foot is back out of the way though.

Good call on practicing emergency braking too. I usually do mine a few times on the the way out on a straight stretch of road from my house as it serves a dual purpose and helps warm tyres a bit too. Good to get that muscle memory engrained in the brain of progressively squeezing the front to load the tyre.

All good advice. Cheers.
Old 15-10-18, 10:16 AM   #27
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:

Good call on practicing emergency braking too. I usually do mine a few times on the the way out on a straight stretch of road from my house as it serves a dual purpose and helps warm tyres a bit too. Good to get that muscle memory engrained in the brain of progressively squeezing the front to load the tyre.

All good advice. Cheers.
Presacaly

It's also good to know how the rear reacts to a rear wheel lock-up.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 15-10-18 at 10:18 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-18, 03:12 PM   #28
Mega Poster

Quote:
So I 've just overhauled my rear caliper for the second time in a year. Meticulously cleaned out again, although there didn't seem to be any corrosion in there anyway this time. New seals again just because I had them ready, but old ones were ok. Pins, sliders etc all good. Plenty of red rubber grease. Bled well. Even all the small pressure plates polished up and spotless. But the piston still doesn't like retracting back into the caliper when the brake is released. I can push it back in by hand no problem though, so it's not jamming. More like it's not getting sucked back in... possibly the fluid not returning?

The brake is definitely dragging as disc and caliper are very warm after riding with only very slight occaisional rear brake use.

I'm guessing next I need to be looking at the master cyclinder? All seemed to be moving ok during the bleed with lots of lever travel which firmed up obviously once bled.

Has anyone got any other suggestions before I pull it apart again and take the master cylinder off and apart to check?
There'll most likely be some horrific dirt in the line. Have you changed it? If not, whip it off and blast it through with an air line. My VFR750 did this until I cleared the line out, some hilariously snotty looking crap flew out, along with lots of bits of black stuff. Wasn't nice, worked perfect after I performed this task though.
Old 15-10-18, 04:10 PM   #29
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Sometimes blip it to flash the brake lights if engine braking. Most of the time my foot is back out of the way though.
I will blip my rear brake as well, the engine braking is so good that you can slow down pretty damn quick without showing brake lights, it is wise to at least show some sign that you are slowing down.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-18, 04:14 PM   #30
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
There'll most likely be some horrific dirt in the line. Have you changed it?

Yep, it was a new Hel line fitted recently. Swapped out caliper has sorted the problem, so either it's the other caliper or some coincidence that happened during the swap around.