SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-01-07, 04:19 PM   #1
ljharmitt

Default Practical Test

So what do they do when you take your practical test?

Like what do they look for and test you on?

Do most of you pass first time and what do you usually fail on?
Old 08-01-07, 04:37 PM   #2
Dan

Default Re: Practical Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljharmitt
So what do they do when you take your practical test?

Like what do they look for and test you on?

Do most of you pass first time and what do you usually fail on?
Best thing is to buy the DSA's books about the test - they're yellow covers - have a look Here. They told me everything I wanted to know, but at the end of the day the best people to ask are instructors.

And most people seem to fail on either observation or slow speed manoeuvring.
Old 08-01-07, 04:39 PM   #3
thedonal

Basically, an examiner rides behind you, asks you to take certain turnings, stop at the side of the road and start off again plus perform a u-turn and a controlled stop. They're looking for you being generally safe rider with good road position, observation and control of the bike, as well as taking speed limits and road signs into account. You also get asked a couple of bike maintenance questions (fairly straightforward stuff) and a question about pillion riders (as it doesn't always come up in the randomised theory test questions).

If you do a direct access course, you go through everything you need for the test. I passed first time, but as with many things, you don't really start learning until you start riding for yourself- I don't tend to get the hang of things properly until after I've passed the test...

As long as you're a safe and controlled rider and can listen to instructions and take criticism positively, if you do a DAS with a good instructor, your chances of passing are pretty reasonable.
Old 08-01-07, 04:39 PM   #4
Baph

My first thoughts were that you should be asking your instructor about this, but then I figured you probably have done already.

What do they look for? Honestly, the usual stuff, that you're a safe (ish) rider & can ride competently. IMO at least.

I passed first time (thankfully).

I got 2 minors, both were observation IIRC. One was almost a major (no lifesaver turning into the test centre car park), but I got lucky & he put it down to test nerves based on the rest of my ride.
Old 08-01-07, 05:06 PM   #5
sinbad

The examiner could also drive behind you in a car instead. Which is quite different to having your instructor behind on a bike.
He'll say continue unless instructed to do otherwise, and if (like on my test) you do it somewhere busy, you'll make much quicker progress in certain situations than a car (and maybe fail if you don't actually), so you'll either be riding on your own quite a bit whilst he catches up (he must have broken a few speed limits), or find he's asking you to pull over quite often.

I passed 1st time, to my surprise, but do yourself a favor and don't ask what the pass rate is at your test centre
Old 08-01-07, 05:14 PM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad
I passed 1st time, to my surprise, but do yourself a favor and don't ask what the pass rate is at your test centre
It was in the high 90%'s at my centre, and my instructor had a 99.9% (claimed) pass rate.

Instructors pass rates could simply be because they don't put people forward for test until they're pretty sure.
Old 08-01-07, 05:18 PM   #7
Alpinestarhero

They like to know how far you can travel on the back wheel. This shows throttle control and balance skills.

They like to see how far you can travel on the front wheel, this shows front braking control.

They like to see you do a 180 degree burnout, this shows...er...

Ok! Seriously, they look to see if your a safe rider. If you do anything dangerous, that sort of thing. They want to see you looking about, checking your mirrors, DOING YOUR BLINDSPOTS AND INDICATORS. They want to see you control your bike smoothly (so no judderyness when pulling away, that sorta thing).

I passed second time (incorrect signal failed me first time), btw.

Matt
Old 08-01-07, 05:23 PM   #8
on yer bike

I failed the fist time.. Yes I am going to blame my bike, (it was an mz)...

Throttle cable snapped, just before the test. rush job fitting a new 1 15 mins before my test (luckily my dealer used to be 10 seconds away from the test centre). Then on my test I took about 5 mins trying to get the tick over right, with my examiner behind me on his bike shaking his head and me being a bag of nerves I was practically swimming inside my helmet..

Eventually I got going, with my indicator on... 30 sec later later... indicator still on.

Heard a voice over the radio

examiner - "could you please cancel your left hand indicator"

me - "F******* £$%^&*^%$^"

I knew I failed at that point, but continued with the test, and did everything more or less perfect.

1 month later, Passed with just 2 minors for stalling on the emergency stop

on yer bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-07, 05:30 PM   #9
SDMF

Watch your speed too!!! Failed my first one for doing 25 in a 20, and 35 in a 30 zone...
Old 08-01-07, 05:56 PM   #10
kwak zzr

safety to you and other road users is the key.