SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-08-10, 04:44 PM   #21
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: Your thoughts for AR11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry Ginger One View Post
What about Ireland ?
Barry's Tea - yay!

I need to avoid the major cricket matches at Lord's but we don't even get the fixtures until November - I was just lucky this year.

No one has yet mentioned a local disco with a pole - that has to be the first requirement on the list surely?

I did suggest the New Forest along to Dorset but Messie tells me the police force down there are mighty unfriendly.
Old 13-08-10, 04:51 PM   #22
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
What about Ireland ?

Although a lovely place I wish to visit, as its one corner I haven't been to, I would prefer not to do it on an AR. I do ARs on a budget, and Ireland poses ferry costs straight away(although I don't know how much)

Scotland...NO. The GM is already established as an event in its own right, and to have AR there instead would dilute the GM concept.

Northumberland was one of the suggestions for this AR, but unfortunately did not come into fruitition. I'd prefer it to be somewhere like here, for ease of accessibilty for the majority.

The burger van concept needs to be put forward as a permanent thing for the AR as BBQs have always fallen far from feeding everyone in previous years, and have been a disappointment for feeding bellies(although greatly appreciated) sheer numbers of people show a burger van to be the better option.

A covered area, as it always rains 'slightly' at some point!

Some sort of shoppie supermarket not far off for boozers

Alternative accomodation onsite for those amongst us that feel they are too old, crippled, or just prefer to feel comfort and quiet away from a field of campers to sleep.

Oh yeah....good roads for the ever expanding numbers on a rideout...although I tend to stay on camp these days as I don't like the volumes of bikes we are now attracting.

Seems this year ticked all boxes concerned. WOuldn't do any harm to have it there again would it? Seemed a perfect formula from someone who didn't go, but has had accounts from various friends here on the phone.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 13-08-10 at 05:11 PM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-10, 05:07 PM   #23
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Northumberland
About same time as this year
Toilets
Bar and off license in reasonable distance
First reply. To the point. It's yours then hun xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
preston, my gaff, woohoooo
even better! Have you told the missus yet that 200 bikers are turning up at her place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
I reckon, same place, same time next year.

Its great going all over the place, but lets face it Other than scotland the roads in Wales are fantastic, the place is fairly easy to get to for a majority of people and we know its gonna rain. It would also make it a little easier to organise as whoever, can just copy it form last year, and should make it a little less stressy.

As for time, bring it forward to July, maybe even end of June as the weather ALWAYS seems better then.
I disagree. Brilliant that this year's venue was, I like the adventure of finding new places. Nothing to stop peeps organising a different event there next year though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig_Of_The_Dump View Post
I would prefer if it were not during the school holidays. I had to do some serious begging and workings to be able to make it this year as I have the kids and am not going to be bringing them with me. Location wise, don't care.
You see, I'd really prefer the school holidays. Can't please all the people all the time I guess. Maybe a vote will be in order at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post

Edit oh my god, something Jambo has said has got stuck in my head. I need to see a shrink fast. I should be the voice of anarchy, what has happened to me. Has AR10 turned me into a Stepford orger.
LOL I met you TW and know you to be a lovely cuddly sweetie pie x

Quote:
What about Ireland ?

I love Ireland. For us Southerners it wouldn't be significantly more difficult or expensive to get to than Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Barry's Tea - yay!

No one has yet mentioned a local disco with a pole - that has to be the first requirement on the list surely?

I did suggest the New Forest along to Dorset but Messie tells me the police force down there are mighty unfriendly.
Definately a pole but only if Girth promises to be there dancing on it. Don't think it was me though that said about the police in the New Forest.

Something else to put in the pot - the following year (2012) will be Olympics year and I like the idea of getting as far away from the South as possible that year.
Messie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-10, 05:21 PM   #24
Speedy Claire

The Borders and I vote Kilted Ginger to arrange it
Old 13-08-10, 05:39 PM   #25
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post

Scotland...NO. The GM is already established as an event in its own right, and to have AR there instead would dilute the GM concept.
Don't really agree with that. AR in Scotland would probably be a once in quite a few years experience. Plus the two are entirely different in almost every sense of the word. So there would be two main .org rideouts in the same area, in the same year. Not diluting it at all as far as I can see. There are far more people likely to make the effort to attend the AR than the GM and would probably love to experience the roads of Scotland.

If I could manage to do the GM (always has been a wish of mine since it started) and the AR (if both were in the same area) I would.
Old 13-08-10, 05:40 PM   #26
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Perhaps as the OP has raised the first question, and has replied to so many orgers suggestions, maybe she could organise it again next time!

Old 13-08-10, 05:40 PM   #27
Stig

I'd do Ireland too. I would say though having toured Ireland, finding a route for so many bikes would be seriously difficult due to the standard of the roads.
Old 13-08-10, 05:47 PM   #28
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig_Of_The_Dump View Post
Don't really agree with that. AR in Scotland would probably be a once in quite a few years experience. Plus the two are entirely different in almost every sense of the word. So there would be two main .org rideouts in the same area, in the same year. Not diluting it at all as far as I can see. There are far more people likely to make the effort to attend the AR than the GM and would probably love to experience the roads of Scotland.

If I could manage to do the GM (always has been a wish of mine since it started) and the AR (if both were in the same area) I would.
Totally agree about them being entirely different, as one who has attended both on several occasions.

But then you 'perhaps' have the small problem of 50 odd people not attending one or the other as they have already attended one event in the area in a different month.
The vast majority of those that do the GM also do the AR. I'm not sure I'd do both, if they were up there in the same year.
Also, in Scotland, there seems to be difficulty in getting campsites big enough just to cope with the GM, so finding one that could cope with the size of the AR, would give me some concern, plus the campsite owners haven't always been entirely 'accomodating' towards us. However, the one that has been put forward this year, seems, for once to be the opposite.

EEEEE everyone has their own ideas I suppose

Old 13-08-10, 05:58 PM   #29
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Well, a couple have mentioned on this thread having it in Wales again at the Basky. Now, I'd be more than willing to sort that out again with whoever helping as it would take the sum total of about three phone calls to get it booked and sorted.

It will also have a purpose built shower and toilet block at the end of this year and they will supply a marquee if we go again. They will also allow a large firepit to be used over the weekend in future.

HOWEVER, I have made it public plenty of times that I WILL be organising an annual Welsh TT to be based at the Basky Hall Hotel as it's got everything needed and I was overhelmed with people asking me to do it on the weekend.

I personally think that the AR should be something that moves around and the two I've been to before have been in very different areas and I loved them both, so no reason a great venue in a great area can't be found for AR11.

I will organise the Welsh TT to be an early summer weekend, so as not to be close to GM or AR time, but I won't do anything until the AR Venue and dates are decided upon.

If no-one comes forward, I'll happily do it at the Basky again. It's zero stress and zero trouble and just because it's Wales wouldn't mean locals helping/marking.....could be open to all.

To clarify, I am NOT saying the AR should be in Wales at the same venue next year.......The AR is a travelling phenomenon.....but the offer is there if wanted as I had a fair number of people ask me on the weekend to do it.

Everything should be put to a vote I say.

Oooh, and I'd also love Scotland/North England
Old 13-08-10, 06:02 PM   #30
anna
Mega Poster

It is useless asking questions on where it is to be held etc, as really you need someone to step up and put forward their proposals.

Without an organiser or someone to put forward their suggestions these questions are just pie in the sky....( although it does help get the ball rolling to start with and people to think about how the next one is to be done.)
anna is offline   Reply With Quote