SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-01-24, 07:30 PM   #11
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bike cuts out after revving

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickaha View Post
runs at 14.4
14.4v is fine.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-24, 07:36 PM   #12
glang

I believe the full travel of the butterflies is necessary to confirm the correct span readings from the position sensor and if thats not achieved I would have expected it to throw up a fault code...
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-24, 07:50 PM   #13
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Cheers Seeker. Here's a vid of the attempted dance of the butterflies. Doesn't look as impressive as those in your vid, so perhaps that's indication of the issue I'm experiencing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nui5QjOEO8

"The best way to get correct information on the internet is to post the wrong answer".

So with the above comment in mind: I think the stv butterflies should be fully closed with the engine off. When the ignition is turned on the stv butterflies will rotate to their fully open position and then set themselves depending on engine temperature, but I have never needed to play with them...

...you should get an error code/FI light if they're not working correctly.

The stv butterflies are there to smooth the airflow and prevent stalling caused by a collapse of inlet vacuum as the main butterflies are opened quickly (based on what I've read).
Old 12-01-24, 08:42 PM   #14
glang

yes there should be a certain voltage read from the STV position sensor by the brain at closed and then another at fully open. If these two values seen in the test arent within limits it should give a fault because otherwise the brain cant position the butterflies correctly...
Old 12-01-24, 09:00 PM   #15
Seeker
Mega Poster

I suppose if there was a lot of mechanical slop (tech term) the stv motor could run through its travel but not actually move the butterflies?
Old 12-01-24, 09:37 PM   #16
glang

well the movement sensor is on the other end of the STV so the motor can do what it likes but its the butterflies (well at least their shaft) that have to move to produce the correct signals...
Old 16-01-24, 11:24 AM   #17
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Thanks Bibio, have checked battery and voltages are:
12.54 when off
11.98 when ignition is on
drops to low of 8 or 9 when starting up and runs at 14.4

seems ok, i think...perhaps too high when running? or too low when kicking over?
battery should not drop to 8-9v when starter is pushed. it might run at 14.4v (RR doing its job) but battery might have dodgey cell. my battery exibeted the exact same symptoms of looking fine.

i think if you have run out of all other options then a new battery, remember its winter and it kicks shizz out of battery.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-24, 11:39 AM   #18
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Cheers Seeker. Here's a vid of the attempted dance of the butterflies. Doesn't look as impressive as those in your vid, so perhaps that's indication of the issue I'm experiencing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nui5QjOEO8
thats not right. they should move as in the other vid seeker posted. make sure that nothing is fowling the link bar as it looks jammed to me.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-24, 10:14 AM   #19
kickaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
battery should not drop to 8-9v when starter is pushed. it might run at 14.4v (RR doing its job) but battery might have dodgey cell. my battery exibeted the exact same symptoms of looking fine.

i think if you have run out of all other options then a new battery, remember its winter and it kicks shizz out of battery.
Cheers. I have already dropped it off at mechanic to look at, and they called to say battery, etc all looked ok. perhaps the 8-9V occured once (was momentary, and I'm jumping at everything at this point)...but I will check again and let them know.

I checked the STV's a second time before taking to shop, and they seemed to function ok but bike still cutting out.

Thank you guys for your help. The feedback I got from shop, was potentially some issue with valves and they're checking that now. The 16k service wasnt done (and I had no idea this was needed till now - although seeing there's a bit of debate on that) so hoping its the right idea and its not too expensive.
kickaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-24, 04:44 AM   #20
mister c
Mega Poster

Or just buy a Gen 1.... Carbs are king

Only joking. Hope it gets sorted quickly
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote