SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-12-17, 07:54 PM   #5231
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
not enough snow My snow tyres still havent been used since I bought them 3 years ago
Winter tyres are made from compounds designed to have more grip at low temperature, the tread is designed to handle snow but worth having for better cold grip.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 01:54 AM   #5232
embee
Mega Poster

Some years ago I worked contracts in Austria and had winter tyres (more or less mandatory, and definitely compulsory in Germany). I agree with the comments, best thing since sliced bread just when temperatures drop (better than summer tyres below 7C typically). On snow they are magic, the key is the tread blocks remain flexible due to the compound and the multiple small slits in the blocks, so as they rotate and the blocks flex the snow falls out of the sipes and you get a tread, summer tyres just fill up and you've got a snow doughnut for a tyre.
Unfortunately they are now past their sell-by-date and lose pressure too quickly (a good 10yrs old now), fortunately I don't need to drive when the weather is bad now so no need to replace them. I always used to use them from Dec to Mar typically.
Old 11-12-17, 11:46 AM   #5233
ophic
Mega Poster

I've spoken to people that think because they drive a 4x4, it can stop better in snow.

I'm pretty sure all cars are fitted with 4 wheel stop these days.
Old 11-12-17, 01:03 PM   #5234
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours? Windows 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I know I could change the video card but that would cost a minimum of £50.
Not necessarily. I've just replaced the video card in a clients computer for the same reason. It's a PCI-E and it card cost me £30. Resolution options restored satisfactorily.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 01:37 PM   #5235
Heorot

Croaky voice and a runny nose. My first cold of the winter has arrived.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-17, 11:34 AM   #5236
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
Croaky voice and a runny nose. My first cold of the winter has arrived.
Mr LPH has flu, proper flu not a cold. He's quite unwell and moaning. I might have more sympathy if it wasn't for having to listen to him go on and on in October and November about how the flu jab is a government conspiracy with the big pharma to keep us sick by injecting is with mercury. Along with fluoride, tap water, the earth being flat, the BBC/Google etc being run as a way of hypnotising the masses - ffs! I did point out this morning that if he'd has the flu jab he would not have had 8 days and counting being unwell, losing salary and missing a night out. He wasn't listening as he's watching a video about how humans should only drink distilled water.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 17-12-17, 02:39 PM   #5237
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Mr LPH has flu, proper flu not a cold. He's quite unwell and moaning. I might have more sympathy if it wasn't for having to listen to him go on and on in October and November about how the flu jab is a government conspiracy with the big pharma to keep us sick by injecting is with mercury. Along with fluoride, tap water, the earth being flat, the BBC/Google etc being run as a way of hypnotising the masses - ffs! I did point out this morning that if he'd has the flu jab he would not have had 8 days and counting being unwell, losing salary and missing a night out. He wasn't listening as he's watching a video about how humans should only drink distilled water.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
the flu jab does not stop you getting the flu. it only reduces the risk of getting the more common virus. if its a new strain the jab is useless.

the earth is not flat. you can see this by looking at the sea horizon.

distilled water is BAD for you just like colloidal silver.

apart from that i like his way of thinking.

tell Mr LPH to get some echinacea liquid and start taking 6-8 drops in a small glass of fresh orange juice every morning.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-17, 04:31 PM   #5238
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the flu jab does not stop you getting the flu. it only reduces the risk of getting the more common virus. if its a new strain the jab is useless..
I'd agree, as I got something last Jan that sidestepped the flu jab I'd had the previous October.

However I'll still have the jab, as if it stops me getting it bad, or reduces the severity of anything I do pick up, then it's worth the £6 I paid this October. Especially the older I get.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-17, 06:55 PM   #5239
Red ones
Mega Poster

You stand a probability between 5 & 20% of catching flu in any winter. You have a 60% less chance if you had the jab (that drops the probability to 2 to 8%) which is still quite high. This is because the jab only ever covers 3 or 4 strains that are statistically likely to be popular in the coming season.

The idea of the jab is to reduce your likelihood of catching it, but also to disrupt the spread by reducing the number of carriers to a level that makes it difficult to cause an epidemic.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-17, 11:37 PM   #5240
Heorot

I'm 69 and have never had the flu and I have never had the flu jab. Looks like I have beaten the odds.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote