SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-02-06, 04:28 PM   #1
DeanoN

Default What do your pillions think of the SV?

As per tittle, how many of you carry pillions and what do they think of the SV with regards to comfort?

Took my brother out on the bike on the weekend and he found it really uncomfortable, after about 40 miles he said his legs were in agony. He's about 5'9" tall which I didn't think would be cramped on the back of a SV?
Old 28-02-06, 04:33 PM   #2
petevtwin650

I've got an earlier curvy, and carry a pillion nearly all the time. Longest trip in one day 570 miles I think.

We'll do 2,500miles on our week long Euro trip. She has no problems, but then she's only 4' 10"short.

The seats are defo more comfy on a curvy IMHO, and I believe there is greater legroom too.
Old 28-02-06, 04:58 PM   #3
jim@55

but then she's only 4' 10"short.

eh!!jimmie krankie mean anything ?is this a child your on about?i mean my wife is about 5'2-5'3 and i thought anything smaller was restricted to kids .
Old 28-02-06, 05:04 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

All the pillions I've taken any distance are short, 5ft 2 ish none have ever complained. ( well not about the SV anyway, I've had a few complaints about approach speed to speedramps though ) One pillion was used to pillioning on sportsbikes and she said the SV was the most comfortable bike she'd been pillion on.

I pillioned my 6ft tall brother to work one day it wasnt far but he didnt complain either

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-06, 05:14 PM   #5
petevtwin650

KRANKIES!!!! Lmao.

Oh she will be pleased when she sees that

Here's a pic for scale like:

But the guy is 6'11"
Old 28-02-06, 05:41 PM   #6
silent

i pillion my bro every now and again at 6ft 2or 3" and a guy called leon who has to be taller and certainly heavier...never had a winge personally...

i ride ultra careful with others on the bike though...anyone else get nervous when someone elses life is in your hands?

Andy
Old 28-02-06, 05:58 PM   #7
skidmarx

rubbish, that what they say anyway. The seat is to hard and offers little support after 50 miles or so, this can build up to become unbearable after a few days in the saddle resulting in lots of stops. She also feels a bit vulnerable stuck up there (s version).
So....not too good really, and not the bike to have if you're planning on carrying one as a matter of course.
Old 28-02-06, 06:01 PM   #8
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim@55
but then she's only 4' 10"short.

eh!!jimmie krankie mean anything ?is this a child your on about?i mean my wife is about 5'2-5'3 and i thought anything smaller was restricted to kids .
Jimmy flipping Krankie!!!

Think yourself lucky I only pick on people my own size.....................so anyone over the age of 8 is safe

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-06, 06:04 PM   #9
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

On a serious note though, we've done 41,000 miles together on the SV, and I have NEVER felt tired or uncomfortable on the back. Our longest day was 603 miles coming back from Germany last year, and even that didn't bother me.

Yes, we have custom seats on the bike, but only for the last year. Even before those I was absolutely fine.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-06, 06:12 PM   #10
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent

i ride ultra careful with others on the bike though...anyone else get nervous when someone elses life is in your hands?

Andy
I ride the same way one or two up. I don't want to crash either way

In fact I find the bike handles better two up. Settles the bike and means you can use the rear brake more. I have got an Ohlins fitted though as the standard shock did struggle a bit.