SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-10-08, 12:24 PM   #1
ThEGr33k

Default UUUUUUUUURG. Electric Vehicles

Well its REALLY annoying me how short sighted people are being! They say Electric cars are brilliant because they produce no emmissions.

BUT

Where do they thing the power comes from? Power stations is where, these that burn Coal and Oil. So HOW are these emmission free?

To make it better the government is now planning on spending £100,000,000 of our money on trying to get electric cars/vehicles tested and on our roads.

I watched this on the politics show. How can I write in/E-mail them to tell them they are short sighted idiots and that they need to think about what they say?
Old 26-10-08, 12:51 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: UUUUUUUUURG. Electric Vehicles

But what if only we had nuclear power stations? Then there'd be no carbon/greenhouse pollution problems, or maybe lots more wind and wave power.
As things stand, you're quite right, they're not at all green, the reason why they're possibly more polluting than a modern, well designed, economical fossil fuel vehicle being used appropriately, is that even if the electricity produced were no more polluting than burning fuel at the point of use, (and due to the economies if scale it probably isn't), the losses in transmission - getting it to your electric vehicle - outweigh any advantages.
But we need to keep in mind that this is a young technology - it will unquestionably improve, and just recently a proposal to return to DC grid transmission was made as more recent conductor developments might allow lower losses over lengthy distances.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-08, 01:36 PM   #3
at-sv

I have been saying this for ages greek no one seems to see the WHOLE picture , yes these new hydrogen vehicles and electric powered vehicles are great but power would still need to come from the grid to charge them up. Power from the grid has got cleaner with wind farms etc, but it is the usual people who go "I want to look after the planet etc" but as soon as someone goes OK we are going to put some turbines here or some other 'clean' energy source people go "F*ck off not near me"

Following on from the other threads that have been on here recently regarding electric bikes I think it is a fantastic technology that will start to develop quickly (small companies will start to release trial vehicles etc) when oil companies reduce their barrel output to line their own pockets and claim that there is none left.

There is the technology out there and it is proven that wind, wave and solar power can create electricity that can be put on the grid but it is much MUCH cheaper for electric companies to use fossil fuels. Nuclear, ok it works but it does produce toxic waste (anyone remember those sweets in the toxic waste pot, god they tasted awful) back on topic.

I have always believed that there is a plan to implement new vehicle fuel technologies such as hydrogen, but where are the fuelling stations? LPG is only available at certain places too. When fossil fuels are very low there will be magical new sources of fuel appear from the oil companies, and before you know it we will be seeing manufactures building them and you will be able to charge your car at the forecourts.

Regarding the £100m, I can think of worse things they have wasted money on , plus they have to be seen to be doing something to help as well.

Well that felt better , hope that helps carry on the debate

Last edited by at-sv; 26-10-08 at 01:53 PM.
Old 26-10-08, 01:37 PM   #4
ThEGr33k

You are right. It might be a future thing... But then there is also the technology coming out to make Petrol out of CO2 out of the atmosphere powered by the sun. If they can do this then it will not be polluting because any emmissions will go into the air and then get pulled back out to reproduce the fuel again so will effectivly be clean!
Old 26-10-08, 01:44 PM   #5
at-sv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
You are right. It might be a future thing... But then there is also the technology coming out to make Petrol out of CO2 out of the atmosphere powered by the sun. If they can do this then it will not be polluting because any emmissions will go into the air and then get pulled back out to reproduce the fuel again so will effectivly be clean!
Thats where they should be investing their £100m and imagine the Return On Investment if they got it to work.
Old 26-10-08, 01:55 PM   #6
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by at-sv View Post
Thats where they should be investing their £100m and imagine the Return On Investment if they got it to work.

OH YES!!!!!!!!

I watched it on the last section of that science programme James May made. Fantastic programme and if they get that tech working they will be in the money! One machine can make about 4 gallons (US id guess because they were Yanks) in 24 hours... Have a few thousand/million of these machines and wow. There is a lot of desert available for them to be placed.
Old 26-10-08, 02:09 PM   #7
at-sv

Quote:
OH YES!!!!!!!!

I watched it on the last section of that science programme James May made. Fantastic programme and if they get that tech working they will be in the money! One machine can make about 4 gallons (US id guess because they were Yanks) in 24 hours... Have a few thousand/million of these machines and wow. There is a lot of desert available for them to be placed.
Depending on how much one of these machines actually cost then yes it is possible to create a lot of cash.

I think current OPEC output is about 30 million barrels of oil a day, cant seem to find out the gallon demand of petrol in a day though.

4 gallons, well a yank could drive about 30 miles on it then
Old 26-10-08, 02:13 PM   #8
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Depending on how much one of these machines actually cost then yes it is possible to create a lot of cash.

I think current OPEC output is about 30 million barrels of oil a day, cant seem to find out the gallon demand of petrol in a day though.

4 gallons, well a yank could drive about 30 miles on it then

Ha ha yes their vehicles will need them strapped on

Thing is once the hardware is fitted in then you should only need a few tech's to keep them running and maybe a few spares. So the fuel cost "should" be pretty cheap if that is right. Though I guess it depends if they do actually use consumables... I dont think they do though from what I hear.
Old 26-10-08, 02:18 PM   #9
at-sv

Quote:
Ha ha yes their vehicles will need them strapped on

Thing is once the hardware is fitted in then you should only need a few tech's to keep them running and maybe a few spares. So the fuel cost "should" be pretty cheap if that is right. Though I guess it depends if they do actually use consumables... I dont think they do though from what I hear.
Few tech's you say, ill do it lol, must be more interesting than sorting out "me pc dunt wherk"

Seems an interesting program, what channel was it on?
Old 26-10-08, 02:30 PM   #10
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Few tech's you say, ill do it lol, must be more interesting than sorting out "me pc dunt wherk"

Seems an interesting program, what channel was it on?
Id do that job too

James may's big idea's.