SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-03-21, 06:40 PM   #171
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

It's out there, still looking to find uses for it. Graphene charges fast but also discharges fast, more like a capacitor than a battery. I've seen some battery mock-ups and they were charging/discharging in seconds.

Don't know how viable a battery from it actually is.

Bloomin expensive, though getting cheaper, last time I was trialling it we were looking at $10,000/kg
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-21, 06:14 PM   #172
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Size for size batteries store a lot more energy than a capacitor, but absorb and release it slower. Capacitors are great for absorbing energy quickly and releasing it quickly. The voltage of a capacitor drops markedly as it discharges where batteries maintain voltage until they are pretty much empty. ( at 11.9 volts a lead acid battery is pretty much flat ).

https://www.machinedesign.com/automa...and-capacitors

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-21, 08:51 PM   #173
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltonSte View Post
It's out there, still looking to find uses for it. Graphene charges fast but also discharges fast, more like a capacitor than a battery. I've seen some battery mock-ups and they were charging/discharging in seconds.

Don't know how viable a battery from it actually is.

Bloomin expensive, though getting cheaper, last time I was trialling it we were looking at $10,000/kg
Developed at Manchester university wasn't it? Thought there were all sorts of possible uses for it ! The cost might be a problem though.
What were you trialling it for ?
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-21, 10:15 PM   #174
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
I agree with Bibio on one thing----cassette type battery swapping will be the way forward. You wont own the battery so no worries about it getting shagged out,you will only buy the amount of energy it contains, which will be measurable. Its the way to get over the elephant in the room which is time spent charging/refuelling. Motorists want and need to make progress and that means refuelling in a couple of minutes, not tens of minutes or even an hour or more. Solve that and electric will become mainstream
Your wish has been granted .
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hTsrDpsYHrw
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-21, 10:38 PM   #175
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Developed at Manchester university wasn't it? Thought there were all sorts of possible uses for it ! The cost might be a problem though.
What were you trialling it for ?
Pencils ?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 22-03-21, 08:48 AM   #176
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST View Post
Your wish has been granted .
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hTsrDpsYHrw

That looks promising. Its an advert so to be read as such but the principle is all there.
Old 22-03-21, 11:08 AM   #177
SV650rules
Mega Poster

How many batteries will the average motorway services or 'swap station' keep ready to go, and how many different types and voltages ? Every car maker will probably specify a different battery, and as cars age and the tech improves batteries will become obsolete pretty quick. Turn up at the mortorway services with a 5 year old BEV and they will probably say. 'sorry mate, we don't do that one any more'....

Old 22-03-21, 11:31 AM   #178
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
I agree with Bibio on one thing----cassette type battery swapping will be the way forward. You wont own the battery so no worries about it getting shagged out,you will only buy the amount of energy it contains, which will be measurable. Its the way to get over the elephant in the room which is time spent charging/refuelling. Motorists want and need to make progress and that means refuelling in a couple of minutes, not tens of minutes or even an hour or more. Solve that and electric will become mainstream
What will battery swapping achieve in terms of time? Drive into the swap bay, jack up car, remove battery pack by means of an operative, fit new pack, diagnostics to make sure it works with the car, leave.... Probably more than the 5 minutes folks are looking for?

How long before these battery swapping facilities are as ubiquitous as petrol stations? Or charging stations come to that? (There are more charging stations than petrol stations now in the UK)

I don't see any mainstream manufacturer going down this road, as there is no infrastructure to support it. VAG/Mercedes/Kia/Hyundai have all put their shoulders behind Ionity. Tesla has the Supercharging network. Shell/BP/Esso are rolling out high speed chargers. I think faster charging will be the way forward for road tripping and overnight / destination / workplace charging taking care of daily commuting and shopping miles.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-21, 08:31 PM   #179
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
What will battery swapping achieve in terms of time? Drive into the swap bay, jack up car, remove battery pack by means of an operative, fit new pack, diagnostics to make sure it works with the car, leave.... Probably more than the 5 minutes folks are looking for?

How long before these battery swapping facilities are as ubiquitous as petrol stations? Or charging stations come to that? (There are more charging stations than petrol stations now in the UK)

I don't see any mainstream manufacturer going down this road, as there is no infrastructure to support it. VAG/Mercedes/Kia/Hyundai have all put their shoulders behind Ionity. Tesla has the Supercharging network. Shell/BP/Esso are rolling out high speed chargers. I think faster charging will be the way forward for road tripping and overnight / destination / workplace charging taking care of daily commuting and shopping miles.
If they were accessible for a quick, tooless change (but then theft would be a mega problem) and didn't weight a ton I actually think it's a good idea ... at least until instant charge is a thing. Or even as a backup option in an emergency like the Nokia days.

I imagine the batteries are monsters though, unless they introduce a supplementary battery for the above emergency purposes.

More importantly - what did ye get?!
Old 22-03-21, 08:48 PM   #180
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
More importantly - what did ye get?!
VW ID.4. In YELLOW.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote