SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-08-06, 03:44 PM   #1
jenni

Default dublin

I'm off to dublin for two days continous parting in a few weekends. Anyone been?

What has to be done in the small time we have.

Also, what are the night clubs like?- any recommendations, any to avoid?
Old 20-08-06, 04:02 PM   #2
El Saxo

Guinness Factory!!
Old 20-08-06, 07:07 PM   #3
keithd

are you after culture or non stop alcohol infusion?

if its the latter, you can't go far wrong heading for the Temple Bar area. but be warned, its where everybody on a hen or stag do or on a general ****up goes

if its culture, you must go to Trinty College Library and view the book of Kells. the Dublinia Exhibition which for the life of me i can't remember the rest of the address, is fab, and the guiness factory as mentioned. a walk along the liffey for a brisk walk will help clear the hangover!!!
Old 20-08-06, 07:17 PM   #4
mac

If you head toward Grafton Steet and O`connel st (they run into each other IIRC ) you can have a few relaxing beers during the day.

Then off to the Temple bar area ( and the Temple bar pub itself ) at night for a good time - cracking Italian/Meditereanian (SP ? ) restaurant dead opposite the Temple bar pub.

People are great, atmosphere is second to none. They do Smirnoff ice on draught in some pubs.....

My favourite night/weekend away.

Old 20-08-06, 07:27 PM   #5
jim@55

thers a cafe/bar around o'connel street ,i think its called thunder road good food/drink and lots of bike stuff(harley based ,but hey),.its like an american diner with a bike theme ,check it out oh btw take plenty money ,dublin is very expensive
Old 20-08-06, 09:41 PM   #6
suicidesam

Cant remember the name of it.. there is a pub up in the hills, Highest in ireland if my foggy memory serves me.. had a great night in there a few years ago. I dare say someone will be along to fill in the gap left by all the Guiness and dancing that night Johny something's seems to stick in my mind?

Temple bar area is great for a few drunken sessions too, Night clubs cost a few quid.. went to one that you got a free bottle of bubbly when you went in can't drink the stuff though

Shopping in Mc'connel Street.. an you'll see the floozie in d jacousy
Old 21-08-06, 01:58 PM   #7
Couerdelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidesam
Cant remember the name of it.. there is a pub up in the hills, Highest in ireland if my foggy memory serves me.. had a great night in there a few years ago. I dare say someone will be along to fill in the gap left by all the Guiness and dancing that night Johny something's seems to stick in my mind?

Temple bar area is great for a few drunken sessions too, Night clubs cost a few quid.. went to one that you got a free bottle of bubbly when you went in can't drink the stuff though

Shopping in Mc'connel Street.. an you'll see the floozie in d jacousy
Pub in the Wicklow mountains is Johnny Foxes. It's not bad but very touristy.

No floozy in the Jacuzzi any more. She was taken away when they revamped O'connel street and put the spire or 'stiffy by the liffey' up instead.

I'll post later with some recommendations for a couple of different nights.
Old 21-08-06, 03:19 PM   #8
philipMac

There is a pub called The Blue Light, which IMO is much better than Foxes. Go up there on a clear night, and bring a jacket, and have a pint looking out over Dublin.

This was my local for a while. Great place.
http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/thebluelight.html

Guinnesses is worth a look. You walk down the quays towards the Phoenix Park, and its on the south side there. Collin's Barracks is on the way up, would be nice to pop in there. Also, Kilmainham Gaol is cool. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilmainham_Jail

TBH, I would sort of steer clear of Temple Bar. Its a bit of a black hole though, you get drawn in. Its just full of... tourists out on the lock, basically. Meh.

Couerdelion will point you to what's good. I am not in the know so much about Dublin these days.

Have a nice time