SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-03-17, 08:52 AM   #1
Badeye

Default Front and Rear Caliper Pin Replacement

Hi Guys,

I have a 1999 SV650S

I'm looking for a bit of guidance.
I'm in the process of servicing my front and rear calipers, or well I was until I found that the all the pins are stuck with no sign of movement.

My question is, once I have removed the pins i'm wanting to replace them with some new ones but I would like to replace them with the ones that have the thread on the top so I can screw them in and out.

I am aware that I will need to drill the hole in the caliper and tap it which again isn't a problem. What I wanted to know was, where do I get the correct size pins from?

Are both the front and rear pins the same size/length?

Cheers.
Old 28-03-17, 05:19 PM   #2
Blapper

Default Re: Front and Rear Caliper Pin Replacement

Brace yourself for a ton of recommendations! Personally, I would just get the correct range of greases (3) to overhaul your calipers and stick with standard. Your curvy has calipers that were plated then machined so the pistons are running in bare aluminium which corrodes badly. Pop your pistons out, clean out the grooves without gouging them, coat the seals with RRG (red rubber grease), pop them back in, put some of this (ebay number 252832753971) on the pins, and a feint smear of copper grease on the edges of the pistons where they touch the anti-squeal shims, and the job is a good 'un. Use RRG on all exposed rubber to make it last.

Don't forget to bleed the brakes...
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote