SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-12-17, 12:46 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Preventing plastic stress fractures

I've fitted a RedFox hugger to my AL7 but I'm not 100% happy with the way it is fastened.

It mounts with the two screws that held the old chain guard (the hugger comes with an integrated chain guard) and sits on top of the swing arm close to the shock where another screw (vertical) attaches it to the swing arm, finally, on the exhaust side there's a bracket that locates the rear brake hose guide to the swing arm - the hugger sits under this and is secured by the bracket's screw.

The original chain guard had shoulder bolts (with a shallow shoulder), initially the hugger would not accept these so I opened up the holes until they did.

I still think that the hugger should (or could be made to) fit better so I've bought some (black) 6mm, button head screws and washers which brings me to my question:

The hugger holes line up with the swing arm holes but the chain guard part of the hugger is squeezed/distorted/pulled into position when the screws are tightened ie: it is under tension when fitted. RedFox say don't tighten anything down until all screws are in position but it makes no difference.

I have enough washers to prevent that from happening but I also have a large quantity of "O" rings - so should I rigidly mount the hugger to the swing arm using washers to stop it being pulled out of position or should I use o rings?
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 03:03 PM   #2
andy650

Default Re: Preventing plastic stress fractures

Mounting plastic with flexibility is always a good idea. If the oring method does not allow too much movement then use it.

You can also use rubber washers either side of the hole, as well as metal.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 04:31 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

use fairing grommets with shouldered bolts/inserts. its how its done by suzuki etc.etc.

dont allow plastic to touch any part of the swingarm or it will rub through the metal and plastic and look shizz in no time. always stand it off from each other.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 07:58 PM   #4
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I had one of these on my curvy, fitted exactly the same way. It lasted about ten years but in the end it cracked where the mudguard met the exhaust side. It isn't fibreglass but something with more twang. Looked good,worked, fitted fine, was a shame it went in the end.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-17, 07:51 PM   #5
SVSte

Just fitted a Ermax hugger on my AL7 holes matched up spot on, and used the plastic washers on all the bolts they sent, 4 bolts 3 Large heads and 1 smaller one for the rear brake carrier.
Happy with it only time will tell LOL.

Last edited by SVSte; 03-12-17 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-12-17, 07:58 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

IMHO the only way to attach plastic is to do what OEM do, use grommets and shoulder screws, which means screw is fully tight but force on plastic is evenly spread and plastic does not touch metalwork.

My Puig carbon fibre look hugger came with grommets and shoulder screws and everything lined up perfectly ... I was very happy with quality and the fittings.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 03-12-17 at 08:03 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote