SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-04-17, 12:51 AM   #1
synXero

Exclamation K5S — about to get its first MOT... Advice Please!

(under my ownership, obviously).

April 14th, an early booking in for my bike's MOT... I know it's going to fail because the horn doesn't work. Plan to multimeter the live and ground at the horn ASAP to find out if it's horn, or wiring/relay. Any other advice? I presume the horns do die periodically, and that that would be more likely than the relay, although maybe the wiring is more likely still. The horn units don't look very good quality nor well guarded!!

Also got a bit of a vibration through front brake. Is this likely to fail a bike? What sort of money should I be looking at to replace front brake discs, mostly likely, and if I have to do the discs I may as well do pads too. Do we have a recommended supplier? Brakes do seem to grab well both front and rear though.

Also concerned there's a dirty ground point on the bike somewhere. Can anyone give me any advice / point me to something that shows where the ground points are on the K5S? The reason I think this is because it once had a glitch for 3/4 minutes where no power would come at all when the key was switched. On off on off on off for a few minutes, and back she came. Then a few little odd moments like a petrol light flashing on when the tank is full, for a moment, and occasionally the indicators not flashing, but illuminating solid, but only periodically. All points to a dirty ground to me? Advice appreciated.

I got a real shock doing a look-over on the bike recently and noticed the right hand side yoke clamp (I think this would be the name?) is missing it's bolt!!!! So I only have my suspension gripped on the left side of the yoke. Presume this would be a fail.

I currently have the clutch switch bypassed because it's faulty following a left side drop. This is not a fail, I presume??

Also the clutch is slipping a bit. I need to fix this purely so as to unlock the bike's power really, but pretty confident there's no MOT fail for this, but something I need to look at anyway.

Otherwise, I've just given it a full service, oil/filter/air filter/plugs/chain/etc., and she's a diamond and I absolutely love her!

See missing yoke bolt... Bit frightening really!!