SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-09-10, 06:02 PM   #1
Talan

Default "Bike experience" project

Hi, This is a shameless plug for something that is very close to my heart.

I have finally got everything sorted for the new 'Bike Experience' project. This is a project that aims to show paralysed/leg-amputee bikers just how easy it is to get back on a bike. I have an adapted GSXR600SRAD ready to go with hand controls and a half day programme that shows the rider how they can ride and adapt a bike to suit their own disability.

The rider comes with two able-bodied mates (or more). Me and Russ demonstrate to all present, the ways to get on, launch and catch the rider. Then the rider takes their turn, in addition to slow speed drills to get used to being back on a bike. Then at lunchtime we have the track for an hour. Go out, do four laps, come back in, debrief, repeat for the hour.

Costings are possibly going to be low as I am about to meet with a company that wants to support the project with financial assistance.

I am starting to collect leathers, boots, gloves, lids to kit out those who were cut out of their leathers (like me), or have just binned them as they didn't think they could ride again. Any donations greatly appreciated.

Will be running the project from Castle Combe, although looking to build up on the tracks that will let me run the project.

Pass on my email (tskeelspiggins@hotmail.com) to anyone you know who might be interested in getting back on a bike.

Many thanks.
Talan

The SRAD to be used in the project, as used by yours truly, paralysed from the chest down (T4).
Old 23-09-10, 07:31 PM   #2
600+

Default Re: "Bike experience" project

that is a great thing you are doing!!! I think I have a 1-piece leathers which I would be more than happy to donate if they can be used
Old 23-09-10, 07:41 PM   #3
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

just re-read the OP. That is a absolutely brilliant idea good luck with the project

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-10, 09:39 PM   #4
hongman

I'm curious as to how the bike has been adapted, and well as getting on/off/standstill?

Great project.
Old 23-09-10, 09:43 PM   #5
minimorecambe

Wow what a great thing to do

Will see if I have anything that may be of use
Old 23-09-10, 11:44 PM   #6
sv4me
Mega Poster

Well done that is a great cause! I was at Snetterton when a guy with only 1 arm was practising on his adapted R1, he could have blown me into the weeds anyday

My texport 1pc leathers are on eBay at the minute, no bids so far if they dont sell theyre yours if you want them
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-10, 10:02 AM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

An excellent project indeed.
An old aquaintance of mine lost his leg from the knee down, but it didn't stop him, with adapted gear change on the bars. We used to help him on and off, but was never an issue to him. Neither did it stop him building trikes.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-10, 12:15 PM   #8
Rai86

Glad to hear its getting off the ground Tal. My offer still stands for any help you need...when we can fit in a time to catch up lol

I will fine out from my lot if they have any kit spare thats in decent nick

Does the project also run for younger adults that have always been disabled but always wanted to ride?
Old 24-09-10, 12:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
An excellent project indeed.
An old aquaintance of mine lost his leg from the knee down, but it didn't stop him, with adapted gear change on the bars. We used to help him on and off, but was never an issue to him. Neither did it stop him building trikes.
was that the guy who rode an Copper pointy. (sincs rings a bell)
Old 24-09-10, 12:41 PM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
was that the guy who rode an Copper pointy. (sincs rings a bell)
no. He was from the age before SVs. Rode a big old green Kwak. Poor fella lost the leg from a hit and run

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote