SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-02-11, 06:48 PM   #1
Talan

Default The Bike Experience Charity

I am writing to inform you of a brand new charity that aims to help motorcyclists that have been paralysed, or lost lower limbs, to get back on a bike.

The Bike Experience Charity has been set up by Talan Skeels-Piggins, a paraplegic T4/5 complete, who has been riding motorbikes around the UK race tracks for the past two years.

Together with the instructors at Castle Combe circuit, a progressive, step by step schedule has been created which allows the rider to enjoy the freedom and pleasure of a solo motorcycle. The Bike Experience shows how you can ride and how to adapt a bike so that the individual can move on and enjoy riding at any of the UK’s tracks. We do not advise any rider to go back out on the road, due to the difficulties of bike-stabilisers and other road users.

The Bike Experience has a number of sponsors and supporters, growing day by day, so the potential rider does not have to pay anything. Keeping the costs to an absolute minimum is another of the key objectives for the Bike Experience, as Talan is aware that it is only a small percentage that get financial compensation for their injuries.

If anyone has any spare kit laying around, we would be able to put it to good use, as there will be all sorts of shapes and sizes coming. Any kit can be posted to: Talan Skeels-Piggins at The Bike Experience, (address will be given to you via pm)

All enquires should go to Talan through the website http://web.me.com/tskeelspiggins/Disabled_Motorcycling

Many thanks for your time and for helping us to spread the word. Should you wish to come to one of the Bike Experience days to see for yourself, please contact us.

Our first event is on 20th April, when Scott Hillier, an ex-motorcross racer paralysed during mx training, comes as the inaugural rider.

Talan
The Bike Experience Charity

Last edited by Talan; 20-02-11 at 03:39 AM.
Old 19-02-11, 06:54 PM   #2
tom-k6

Default Re: The Bike Experience Charity

This is quite possibly the best thing i have heard of in a VERY long time. touch wood i will never have to use your charity for a ride, but all the best to those who have been unfortunate enough to be injured in such a way.

hope all goes well and people spread the word far and wide.
Old 19-02-11, 08:00 PM   #3
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Mate good luck with the charity.

Talan, you see the FB piece in the end?

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-11, 03:40 AM   #4
Talan

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
Mate good luck with the charity.

Talan, you see the FB piece in the end?
Yep, saw the article, thought FB did a good job. Will be hoping to follow it with a Bike Experience piece with Scott H.
Old 14-07-11, 04:23 PM   #5
Steved

Hi Talan,

I'm T4 para complete. Injured in a bike accident in 1989. I had a FJ1200 at the time and had ridden a CBR600 prior to that. I have dreamed of riding again and I'm very interested in your charity.

Please send me details. Email to steve_derwin@btinternet.com.

Regards

Steve Derwin