SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-07-08, 07:48 PM   #1
Camel

Default Tow bar - advice needed

Mighty org,

Mrs C says I can have a tow bar! This is good as I own 50% of a bike trailer, but I am reliant on the other owner for use, haha!!

Anyway, do you think a 1.6 picasso is up to the job of pulling 1, if not 2 sports bikes to a track day? I am guessing it will be a max of 500 kilo's.

Is there anyone I should use to buy the towbar from? Can I fit it myself? Or should I just get one of these firms to come and do it in the car park while I'm at work??

Or should I stick it on my old Modeo...but run the risk of losing it if it fails it's MOT?

All advice gratefully recieved

Last edited by Camel; 14-07-08 at 08:34 PM. Reason: most heinous spelling mistake!
Old 14-07-08, 07:58 PM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: Tow bar - advice needed

i'd expect legally you'd be able to tow, is it petrol or diesel? 1.6 petrol might be a bit of a chore, two SVs on a 2-bike trailer will weigh on the order of 6-700kg

i ordered a removable towbar from http://www.towbarsdirect.co.uk - very good service and easy to fit yourself if you have the basic tools
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-08, 07:58 PM   #3
tone64

i reckon the picaso will make it bump along, no worries, i had a 1.6 vectra, and pulled a caravan and all that goes with it
Old 14-07-08, 08:18 PM   #4
SV-net

Yes it will just check for your max weight on towing mate.
Old 14-07-08, 08:34 PM   #5
embee
Mega Poster

It'll tow that with no problems, I pull an Ifor Williams P6 trailer carrying one SV650 (all up about 350kg) with a 1.0L Toyota Yaris (max trailer weight 400kg). OK, it's no ball of fire, but it'll do it comfortably.

I'd phone around for a mobile fitting service, my neighbour had a guy fit a towbar on his Honda Jazz for a shade over £150 recently. In view of the time/cost I wouldn't bother trying DIY unless you really really want to.
Old 14-07-08, 08:42 PM   #6
Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
It'll tow that with no problems, I pull an Ifor Williams P6 trailer carrying one SV650 (all up about 350kg) with a 1.0L Toyota Yaris (max trailer weight 400kg). OK, it's no ball of fire, but it'll do it comfortably.

I'd phone around for a mobile fitting service, my neighbour had a guy fit a towbar on his Honda Jazz for a shade over ?150 recently. In view of the time/cost I wouldn't bother trying DIY unless you really really want to.
Aye, good point. I think I will go for the fit at work service. Alot less hassle!
Old 15-07-08, 07:05 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel View Post
Mighty org,

Mrs C says I can have a tow bar! This is good as I own 50% of a bike trailer, but I am reliant on the other owner for use, haha!!

Anyway, do you think a 1.6 picasso is up to the job of pulling 1, if not 2 sports bikes to a track day? I am guessing it will be a max of 500 kilo's.

Is there anyone I should use to buy the towbar from? Can I fit it myself? Or should I just get one of these firms to come and do it in the car park while I'm at work??

Or should I stick it on my old Modeo...but run the risk of losing it if it fails it's MOT?

All advice gratefully recieved
Easy. You'll have to use the gears for the hills, but a modern 1.6 should have no worries towing 2 bikes.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote