SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-04-17, 09:29 AM   #1
sl0th86

Default battery keeps dying

So i have an 05 pointy and one morning the battery went completely flat, thought it was a bad battery because it happened over night. Got a new battery and same thing happened, thought it was the rectifier this time so got a new one and the same thing happened. Could it be the stator/rotor? I also have an immobiliser could it be that?

Going to test the stator/rotor tomorrow but does anyone know where the wires are or easiest way to test it is? Any help is much appreciated!
Old 20-04-17, 10:39 AM   #2
glang

Default Re: battery keeps dying

Hi, this is a really frequent and well covered topic so have you tried searching the site?
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-17, 11:21 AM   #3
sl0th86

Ahhh ok i'll have a look, just thought someone mite of had the same problem or could give me some pointers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20-04-17, 02:06 PM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0th86 View Post
So i have an 05 pointy and one morning the battery went completely flat, thought it was a bad battery because it happened over night. Got a new battery and same thing happened, thought it was the rectifier this time so got a new one and the same thing happened. Could it be the stator/rotor? I also have an immobiliser could it be that?

Going to test the stator/rotor tomorrow but does anyone know where the wires are or easiest way to test it is? Any help is much appreciated!
First check the voltage across the battery with the engine running @idle.It should read around 14v +/- DC.

On my Curvy the main R/R connector is under the rear fairing on the right hand side of the bike.If you can find the 3 yellow wires from the Stator by pulling apart the multi-connector:Set multimeter to the lowest ohm setting(Mine has a continuity buzzer on this setting<very useful>) and test the pins 1/2 1/3 2/3.
They should read below 2 ohms and or buzz.

This will at least show an,"Open Coil" in the Stator windings(Common when stators fail) or a break in the wires from the stator(rare).

This main connector is a common fault point on many motorcycles as the pins can get corroded.I use Isopropanol Switch cleaner(Servisol or Maplin's own) and then ACF50 to service them and keep them free from corrosion.

Before this if you suspect a current leak from the immobilizer then disconnect it for a few days but take added security precautions/extra locks whilst you do.

There are procedures for testing the R/R in the manual/s.

HTH

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 20-04-17 at 02:18 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-17, 02:42 PM   #5
sl0th86

Awesome! A lot of info there thanks R1ffR4ff!

Old 20-04-17, 03:31 PM   #6
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

While you are doing the checks on the three yellow wires from the alternator you can check the output.Similar to above,but with the meter set to volts there should be an output of roughly 70 volts ac from each wire when measured against each other wire,engine running of course.The actual output can be more or less,but all three readings should be similar.
Dont spend any more money on battery,reg/rec or anything else until you have a diagnosis.
Old 20-04-17, 03:37 PM   #7
sl0th86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
While you are doing the checks on the three yellow wires from the alternator you can check the output.Similar to above,but with the meter set to volts there should be an output of roughly 70 volts ac from each wire when measured against each other wire,engine running of course.The actual output can be more or less,but all three readings should be similar.
Dont spend any more money on battery,reg/rec or anything else until you have a diagnosis.

Thanks for the tips! I will get to the bottom of this!!! Haha

Old 20-04-17, 03:48 PM   #8
dyzio
Mega Poster

Also, do a "short to ground" check.
Basically, check the connectivity between any of the stator wires and any ground point (frame, negative battery lead). Set the MM into ohms, it should read an infinite value (OL), is. there should not be any continuity.

This might be helpfull:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v2L...t=126s&list=WL

Last edited by dyzio; 20-04-17 at 03:54 PM.
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote