SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-07-08, 10:04 PM   #1
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Default Funny problems with engine speed and lights dimming

Ok i was riding today and randomly the bike started blipping the throttle even though my hand was steady. Also the speedo started reading all over the shop as did the revs. Further more the lights dimmed and fuel light came on even though i have loads of petrol.

I stopped the bike immediately (at the first safe point, obviously) switched it off then on again and all was normal for the ride back home.

Has anyone else experienced any problems like this with thier bikes???

I have an inckling that it will be a very cheap or easy problem to fix should it persist. But please mighty orgers let me know if there are any sollutions, be that cheasp or expensive.
Old 14-07-08, 10:17 PM   #2
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Default Re: Worrying problems...???

choke cable stuck?

throttle cable caught round the headstock?
Old 14-07-08, 10:22 PM   #3
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Default Re: Worrying problems...???

Could the symptoms i tried to describe be caused by anything electrical as the lights dimmed also and speedo went crazy even though it is currently broken. I am in the process of taking the fron wheel off and looking at the speedo rota....
Old 14-07-08, 10:43 PM   #4
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Funny problems with engine speed and lights dimming

Some sort of electrical gremlin

Would help if you told us a litle more about your bike. I'd check the basic stuff first such as loose battery connections and then have a poke around and see if you can see anywhere where the wirinig loom has rubbed the insulation through against the frame and gone to earth, look round by the headstock and under the rear plastics, if you have a curvey then sometimes the left hand side front seat bolt does this as well.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-08, 10:50 PM   #5
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Some sort of electrical gremlin

Would help if you told us a litle more about your bike. I'd check the basic stuff first such as loose battery connections and then have a poke around and see if you can see anywhere where the wirinig loom has rubbed the insulation through against the frame and gone to earth, look round by the headstock and under the rear plastics, if you have a curvey then sometimes the left hand side front seat bolt does this as well.
Yeah i do. It a K2. I'll have a poke around. I'm going away tommorrow though so i'll have to mull it over in my mind then check next week.

Thanks in advance to anyone else you may leave any advice...
Old 14-07-08, 11:12 PM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

If the speedo is going mad, chances are it's a bad main electrical or earth- which usually means a lose battery terminal, or a problem with the starter relay (which is where the 30 amp fuses plug in, on the right hand side) or sometimes a damaged wire elsewhere (check under seat and around headstock, that's where SV looms tend to rub). I bet you 10p it's one of these,and a further 5p that it's the battery connections.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-08, 08:20 AM   #7
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind View Post
If the speedo is going mad, chances are it's a bad main electrical or earth- which usually means a lose battery terminal, or a problem with the starter relay (which is where the 30 amp fuses plug in, on the right hand side) or sometimes a damaged wire elsewhere (check under seat and around headstock, that's where SV looms tend to rub). I bet you 10p it's one of these,and a further 5p that it's the battery connections.
I agree, it sounds like the starter relay, I've had the same before myself, see -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
Right, sorted it now...

Turns out that it was the starter relay, it had corroded through. Not enough to completely break the connection, but enough that when I put a load on it, it popped. If you look at the relay on the positive terminal there is a little thin metal connection that seems to supply live to the 30amp fuse, this is what had corroded. When I was checking the contacts I noticed that I only got about 2volts coming through at the fuse holder but 12volts at the battery connection. So swapped it off my other SV and now all seems well.

Cheers for everyone's help.

Anyone got a spare starter relay?