SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-04-07, 01:35 AM   #1
DaffyDuck

Default SV650S or SV650 (2007)?

I can't make my mind for many days already, which one is better? Or what are their advantages and disadvantages?

I am a newbie, so I will not have a chance to test ride both of them to compare. Currently I like the naked model a bit more for its classic look, but all reviews are saying that its wind protection is pretty bad at high speeds, which makes me turn to S model...

Old 04-04-07, 10:02 AM   #2
Mossy

Default Re: SV650S or SV650 (2007)?

the s has a greater top end cos it has the front fairin on and suzuki saw fit to do this because it wouldnt b so uncomfortable for the rider! as a result of this the normal sv has "bitier" acceleration.

myself ide go for the s everytime cos it looks sportier and it is afterall a sports tourer not a naked streetfighter, it just suits the bike better.

it depends what kind of riding your goin to b doin, in most situations the s will win out.

in the end its dwn to personal preferance, if you like the n model, go for that
Old 04-04-07, 10:29 AM   #3
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
the s has a greater top end cos it has the front fairin on and suzuki saw fit to do this because it wouldnt b so uncomfortable for the rider! as a result of this the normal sv has "bitier" acceleration.
To be honest, the acelleration/top end is far more to do with the different gear ratio's than it is the fairing.

Personally, I'm a commuter, and so wind blast was the deciding factor. I wasn't looking for anything without at least bikini fairing.

The fairing isn't great, but it helps. I can happily ride along my private disused air strip at about 110 sat almost bolt upright.

You might want to fit a DB (DoubleBubble) like I have, as it helps deflect more wind away from your chest. You still take a hit in the head/neck, but you get used to it with time.

If you don't do high speed motorway commuting (like me) there's little in it. I've changed my gear ratio's to mimic the naked, other than that, only the riding position is different. The faired version, more presusre on your hands as you're leant forwards, the naked, more upright and easier to throw around in traffic.

Buy what suits you & your wallet

Welcome to the mad house!
Old 04-04-07, 11:07 AM   #4
thor

What most people seem to gripe about is that the bars are more of a stretch on the S version.
Old 04-04-07, 11:10 AM   #5
Demonz

What will you use it for?
Old 04-04-07, 01:11 PM   #6
ujoni08

I have an S with double bubble and a 16 tooth front sprocket, Scottoiler, etc. for faster runs and commutes. One thing with the riding position as mentioned on here is it's a bit heavy on the wrists and can hurt between the shoulder blades. I found that hacksawing the alloy mouldings under the clipons allowed me to loosen and rotate them forward slightly, which distributes the weight across your palms, rather than concentrating it on the outer part (ulnar nerve). The mouldings are there as an extra safety item to prevent the clipons moving should they become loose. Aftermarket clipons don't have these anyway, and I have loctited the threads on the pinch bolts. I'm still thinking about getting a kit consisting of a different top yolk and normal bars for my S, though.
Jon.
Old 04-04-07, 01:43 PM   #7
Alpinestarhero

I got an S for commuting and playing on (mines a 1999 version though), and its perfect. Its not uncomfortable (i dont think so anyway, im a shade under 6 foot) although it could do with a slightly taller screen (so I'm badgering my parents about getting one for me birthday!) to deflect the wind over my head rather than into my head. Its still better than having a naked though!

Matt
Old 04-04-07, 03:42 PM   #8
DaffyDuck

Thanks guys

Quote:
myself ide go for the s everytime cos it looks sportier and it is afterall a sports tourer not a naked streetfighter, it just suits the bike better.
For me it is the opposite for some reason... Faired looks like an entry level supersport (don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here, just a visual impression it makes to me (noob)), and naked seems like a top level street bike.

Quote:
What will you use it for?
I wish I use it for everything - streets, highway, track But the major purpose will be probably cruising city streets on evenings and weekends.

So, everybody is on the S model's side... No naked fans here?
Old 04-04-07, 04:13 PM   #9
chris8886
Mega Poster

definately the 'S' model. i can't about the naked model but from experience the fairing on the 'S' does a pretty good job having seen me on a couple of 300ish mile motorway journeys!!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-07, 06:52 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Where are you based?If you live somewhere warm you will appreciate the wind on a naked bike far more than the fairing on an S,but riding in a Scottish winter might be different.I use a naked SV for all my riding in and around London as I find it much more comfortable.I do have a small headlamp screen on it which deflects the majority of the blast.The naked one is cheaper to buy and insure as well.