SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-11, 10:03 AM   #1
cbay
Mega Poster

Default Overtaking Double White Lines in Standstill Traffic?

Right well I'm a little confused.

This morning on my way to work in the car (due to bike still off the road) I saw 3 motorbikes overtaking standstill traffic on the double white lines. I always thought this was a BIG NO NO!

Am I wrong?

I understand motorbikes like to progress their journey. Admitedly one rider hovered on the white lines but the other two just whizzed down on other side of road slower than speed limit being careful but I was unsure by the whole thing.

Thoughts?
cbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 10:04 AM   #2
cbay
Mega Poster

Default Re: Overtaking Double White Lines in Standstill Traffic....

Sorry for some reason this has double posted. Whoops! Can we delete this one....
cbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 10:05 AM   #3
metalangel

It's illegal innit? There's a bus stop on a single carriageway in Cardiff with double whites, if the bus stops I just sit behind it and wait but I get people angrily honking or tear-arsing around me, over the double white lines, to get around the bus.
Old 03-03-11, 10:07 AM   #4
Owenski

Default Re: Overtaking On Double White Lines in Standstill Traffic....

Not illegal provided the traffic is stationary and your doing a reasonable speed (I was told no faster than 10mph). Im sure its Section 7 of something or other which allows the exception, I'll try dig it out.

This is all 2nd'd information mind you, it was what my instructor told me in relation to filtering/making progress.

Last edited by Owenski; 03-03-11 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-03-11, 10:09 AM   #5
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

We were over in Hudds yesterday, and saw someone trying to cross over them and the other busy carriageway to get to a car dealership. Now I can understand people slyly overtaking, but to stop traffic on both sides of the road and do something completely illegal is beyond me!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 10:11 AM   #6
sinbad

Crossing them isn't illegal as such. I don't consider passing stationary traffic overtaking anyway. If a tractor had broken down on a section of double white lines, would cars not be allowed to pass it (safely)?
Old 03-03-11, 10:12 AM   #7
Owenski

Taken from direct.gov

129 - Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26]

Clearly I got a bit muddled with my facts surrounding the 10mph bit but - treat every veichle in the cue as an individual obsticle and you're fine passing the whole que.
Old 03-03-11, 10:14 AM   #8
Seggons

According to the highway code it's perfectly legal to cross double white's providing traffic is moving at less then 10mph.

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_070306
Old 03-03-11, 10:15 AM   #9
Luckypants
Mega Poster

All the above scenarios are quite legal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The highway code

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 10:19 AM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
We were over in Hudds yesterday, and saw someone trying to cross over them and the other busy carriageway to get to a car dealership. Now I can understand people slyly overtaking, but to stop traffic on both sides of the road and do something completely illegal is beyond me!
That's perfectly legal, and what's more they just need to get somewhere. Not like they're doing it out of impatience is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seggons View Post
According to the highway code it's perfectly legal to cross double white's providing traffic is moving at less then 10mph.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_070306
Well that doesn't specifically mention ANY vehicle moving at <10mph but if stationary, be right.