SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-06-08, 04:01 PM   #1
neillfergie

Question Suspension setup?

Hi guys and girls, need some advice on how to adjust my sv650s k4s suspension to improve its handling. it all sitting the way it was when i collected it from the dealer and i haven't got a clue how to go about changing anything.

The problem is a know bikes are set up for average riders of 11 - 13stone but unfortunately im nearer 19stone so im sure that im upsetting the handling balance. it feels pretty good to ride, maybe a tad soft on the front on the brakes but it turns in ok and feels pretty stable in the twisties.

any suggestions of whet adjustments you can make and how they affect the feel of the bike would be appreciated.
Old 09-06-08, 04:04 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Suspension setup? HELP

I dont think playing with the stock setings for somebody of your weight and size is going to make alot of difference. The bike is under sprung on the front end to start with.

New springs and oil for you I think is going to make the biggest difference. I cant give specific advice though, but have a search through the forum and see what you can find, its been covered alot.

Failing that somebody with a bit more knowledge than I have will be along shortly.

Is there nowhere local to you, that you can take it to get some proper advice ?

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-08, 04:07 PM   #3
Biker_Billy

Agree with FW - I think the stock springs and shock will be outside their range....

I'm about 17 stone kitted up, and fitted a GSXR1000 shock on my K3 a few months ago - was definately an improvement, and less wallowy - I'm certainly no expert rider, but even I could tell the difference...only cost 40 quid too.

Got the front springs to do yet mind...

BB.
Old 09-06-08, 04:34 PM   #4
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillfergie View Post
The problem is a know bikes are set up for average riders of 11 - 13stone
Make that 8-10 stone!
Old 09-06-08, 07:12 PM   #5
neillfergie

Spoke to my dealer before i collected the bike and he said that the previous owner was "a big lad too" so basically im not sure if he knew either.

and who the hell is 8stone! my lunch weighs about that!!!
Old 10-06-08, 12:18 PM   #6
RGV250ads

Have a look at these:
http://www.elkasuspension.com/files/...nersManual.pdf
(gives you some terminology, what does what etc)

http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/Guides/...0YOUR%20WEIGHT
(good 'base point' and set up guide).

and get a haynes manual.

Worth tinkering as you'll learn sommink too.
Old 10-06-08, 12:41 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

The racetech website is good for recommended spring rates too, pop in your weight and it'll give a ballpark. I find it recommends stiffer springs than I like but that's personal preference. And then, match that with some heavier oil to increase the damping a bit (not sure what weight of oil to use in your case though, since I weigh roughly half what you do )

PDQ sell the racetech springs- lots of places sell springs but not everywhere does various rates.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 03:15 PM   #8
neillfergie

some good stuff there guys, thanks, must have a good look at my bike and see what type of adjustment i have to play with and tweak them up a bit to see if it will help.

im probably outside the range of adjustment anyway but im riding on bumpy back roads most of the time so i don't want anything to stiff but equally im worried about bottoming out and doing damage

im prob similar to a normal rider with a normal pillion passenger on board so the suspension is coping ok.

ps. im not a total piemaster im just big