SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-02-22, 09:34 PM   #11
svenrico

Default Re: Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
Same here and I use GT85 PTFE chain lube ( Usually cheap at Wilko supermarkets or ASDA) to keep the chain lubed and all my lever/brake joints etc.
I use GT85 as a lubricant on things like lever pivots and it is a lubricant with PTFE but I would have thought it is not thick enough to use as a lubricant on motorcycle chains (unless it is applied nearly every ride !)
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-22, 09:17 AM   #12
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I use GT85 as a lubricant on things like lever pivots and it is a lubricant with PTFE but I would have thought it is not thick enough to use as a lubricant on motorcycle chains (unless it is applied nearly every ride !)
Yes I do apply it quite often but as my SV is on a rear Paddock stand it only takes a moment to spin the wheel by hand and spray. Doesn't need much. My chain and sprockets have been on 5 years now and I don't do high mileage but the ACF 50 has held back any corrosion and the GT85 also seems to prevent a lot of dirt build up.

I've only used I think 1 adjustment notch during 15,000+ miles so have plenty left on my 99 and the chain has no stiff points. The chain and sprockets still look good and I prefer the less messy ACF50/GT85 to my old moly and oil system. If I get another 15,000 out of the kit I'll probably renew them as one thing I would never want it a chain break @ speed as it would most likely knacker the bike one way or another.

I don't think it's better or worse than other ways it's just my alternative way and works for me

HTH

PS

I use GT85 to re-waterproof my Gloves/Boots and Jacket etc as it's a fantastic water repellent but do it outside as it the smell,although not bad,is pervasive..

PPS

ASDA were doing a ,"Roll Back" on GT85 @ £ 2.50 a can so I bought two cans the other day

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 14-02-22 at 09:20 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-22, 09:33 AM   #13
redtrummy

Does it really matter what lub you use as long as its oil?
Over the years I have used linklife, dry lub, engine oil. 3 in1, anti fling oil on m/bikes and cycles and I have never noticed a great deal of difference, apart from when riding a mountain bike in cruddy conditions then it does clag the chain up if using a straight oil.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-22, 04:22 PM   #14
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Over the years I have used linklife, dry lub, engine oil. 3 in1, anti fling oil on m/bikes and cycles and I have never noticed a great deal of difference, apart from when riding a mountain bike in cruddy conditions then it does clag the chain up if using a straight oil.
I used old engine oil on my SV chain for years and there were two big advantages
It was free
It got rid of old engine oil
The OE chain lasted about 25000 miles,the first 5000 with the previous owner so I dont know how well the chain was maintained then. I never used parafin or any other cleaning solvent on it either.
Old 14-02-22, 06:17 PM   #15
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Yes obviously , as you say straight oil can clag the chain up!
Scottoiler blue is tacky ( but can fling off depending how the flow rate is set ) but cleanish ,if that makes sense. The thing with Scottoiler is it automatically oils the chain as you ride and just needs the oil reservoir filling up occasionally which is easy. The only problem I see is the outside of the chain links can be dry as I stated before.
Everybody has their own preferred way of lubricating their chain, each to their own .
Whilst on this I don't know why more bikes don't have belt drive which is clean, smooth and maintenance free - but that is a whole new topic .
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-22, 10:46 AM   #16
redtrummy

On the cub I top the primary chain case up with ATP fluid, there is a slight leak of the seal behind the clutch, if I get it right the chain stays wet and stays clean, so that works as a scottoiler I suppose. But there is a difference between an application of oil and continuous lubbing.
Just reading this 25k engine oil, 15k plus GT85, both decent mileage but vastly different products. I use a spray on Suzy, only because its convenient and easy to apply without using a stand. On my cycles its whatever is at hand. Basically I am saying just keep it wet!
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-22, 08:38 PM   #17
gadget

I use chain lube on the links n rollers, and brush waxoil on the link plates, it drys to a clear waxy finish, never done anything different and never had any rust on chain plates.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote