SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-03-21, 09:49 AM   #1
gadget

Default 99 curvy S fork rebuild

Hey all, I'm planning on rebuilding my curvy S forks very soon due to a bit of a weep from one of the seals, does anyone have any recommendations for a particular supplier of the parts other than oem? Would like to avoid the cheapo import rubbish for obvious reasons.
Cheers.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-21, 10:05 AM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: 99 curvy S fork rebuild

Wemoto are generally pretty good.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-21, 06:07 PM   #3
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Wemoto are generally pretty good.
Good call, hadn't thought of them.
Also ... just wanted to confirm I'm getting the ideal spring rate for the forks from the many knowledgeable peeps on here, it's good to have a second/third opinion, I'm pretty sure I'll buy the K-tech linea springs but just wanted to get some opinions and first hand experiences with this choice.
Am I correct in thinking I will need the linea 9.0 springs and use the Silkolene RSF 10w fork oil?
Is this a good combo?
BTW... I weigh 12 stone clothed but not bike gear, I expect when fully geared up I will be in the region of 13 stone.
Bike is mainly used for a bit of 'spirited' riding only ... and maybe the odd track day.
Any help with this choice before I commit to buy would be really helpful.
Cheers.
Old 28-03-21, 10:28 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

I reckon you're probably spot on for a comfortable/firm road spec. If your bike has std forks at present you'll find a huge improvement.
Old 29-03-21, 05:46 AM   #5
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I reckon you're probably spot on for a comfortable/firm road spec. If your bike has std forks at present you'll find a huge improvement.
Cheers for the reply, I was thinking I must be in the ball park but still good to get second opinions.
Old 30-03-21, 04:57 PM   #6
Spiral

You might want to check out K-Tech springs, not expensive & they do different ones for different rider weights, I just got some after a recommendation on an FB SV group, not fitted them yet tho, thinking of welding the damper holes up while I'm at it.
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-21, 07:57 PM   #7
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
You might want to check out K-Tech springs, not expensive & they do different ones for different rider weights, I just got some after a recommendation on an FB SV group, not fitted them yet tho, thinking of welding the damper holes up while I'm at it.
I've just bitten the bullet and bought the K-tech 9.0 linea springs together with some Silkolene rsf 10w fork oil so I'm expecting some kind of minor miracle in how the front behaves. According to the nice peeps at K-tech, it should be the ideal setup for me and my curvy 'S'.
Just got to strip it all down now and get it all up 'n' running. So
Old 30-03-21, 09:27 PM   #8
glang

Ive just soldered my damper rod holes rather than weld and it seemed to have worked quite well although I cant detect much difference in performance. To me as standard its always felt pretty good but I was changing the oil so thought Id do the mod as well.
I drilled a slight countersink in the holes, melted a blob on the end of a short length of solder and pushed it through so the blob ended up on the inside. Then I puddled the solder in the external countersink and filed it smooth. Cant see why it shouldnt be a permanent seal but as I say its such a small hole I cant see it makes much difference to rebound damping...
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-21, 05:08 PM   #9
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
Ive just soldered my damper rod holes rather than weld and it seemed to have worked quite well although I cant detect much difference in performance. To me as standard its always felt pretty good but I was changing the oil so thought Id do the mod as well.
I drilled a slight countersink in the holes, melted a blob on the end of a short length of solder and pushed it through so the blob ended up on the inside. Then I puddled the solder in the external countersink and filed it smooth. Cant see why it shouldnt be a permanent seal but as I say its such a small hole I cant see it makes much difference to rebound damping...
I suppose you have to have a bash at those type of mods just to see if it makes a worthwhile difference, I'll probably stick with the springs 'n' oil change for the foreseeable, from what I've read and been told by pretty much everyone that's done it... it's a win-win mod so looking forward to getting the forks sorted.