SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-02-21, 09:52 PM   #5071
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
As a householder I don't expect to touch anything on the boiler, British Gas service it once a year and I adjust the heat coming off the radiators by the hall thermostat and TRV's on the radiators.
I am very inquisitive about anything - so read up a lot on most things.

It seems that many of those gas people who come to the house to fiddle with the boilers do not understand condensing boilers very well at all, and they are often set up wrong, making them far less efficient than they are advertised. Not many people realise that condensing combi boilers never condense in when heating domestic hot water anyway, making them less efficient ( a system boiler with a storage tank does though ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-21, 11:25 PM   #5072
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Despite turning mine down (read that link with interest) I just accidentally pressed the back of my hand on a chrome towel rad I've just installed, felt like it would take the skin off. They're bloody hot! (which is also somehow a smile of the day)

Last edited by Dave20046; 10-02-21 at 11:27 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-21, 08:36 AM   #5073
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
Elsewhere on another world far away, the admins have allowed us to change our usernames.
One guy has changed to.................
Big Dan Gleeballs

Simple things for simple minds I know, it did make me smile
That was one of the names Doc Martin used for his patients when he called out their names in waiting room, others were as below -
( now you will never be able to watch reruns without listening out for the funny names )

Alice Cooper
Anita Bush
Drew Peacock
Helen Highwater
Germain Mann
Dan Gleballs
Ben Twilley
Daryl Hannah
Paul Mycock
Iona Castle
Leanne Perrins
Honor Todd
Albert Ross
Wendy House

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 11-02-21, 02:31 PM   #5074
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Terry wogan used to invent readers names too. Heidi Vodka, Teresa Green etc

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-21, 02:46 PM   #5075
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Despite turning mine down (read that link with interest) I just accidentally pressed the back of my hand on a chrome towel rad I've just installed, felt like it would take the skin off. They're bloody hot! (which is also somehow a smile of the day)
Try the bottom corners of the rads where the pipes go in and out, should be able to hold your hand on the coolest one for at least 30 seconds if it is below 55 degC ( normally opposite side to TRV ) I actually held a thermometer on the return pipe to boiler to check temperature. The flow needs to be at least 65 to get Domestic hot water tank over 60 deg C for legionella control, but return should be <55. Other thing is never have a TRV valve on the radiator in same room as the wall thermostat, if the valve shuts flow off through the rad the thermostat will not see the correct temperature and will overheat the house. In fact you need a few radiators without TRV on the system otherwise the flow can be shut off entirely, but the thermostat still calling for heat so pump is not making water flow around system and boiler will jut keep cutting out on over-temperature ( often a hard, manual reset thermo-tirp on the boiler itself).

https://www.hpmmag.com/ask-the-exper...oom-thermostat

Old 11-02-21, 09:28 PM   #5076
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I am very inquisitive about anything - so read up a lot on most things.

It seems that many of those gas people who come to the house to fiddle with the boilers do not understand condensing boilers very well at all, and they are often set up wrong, making them far less efficient than they are advertised. Not many people realise that condensing combi boilers never condense in when heating domestic hot water anyway, making them less efficient ( a system boiler with a storage tank does though ).
I think you could be right. A BG engineer one year recommended a new condensing combi boiler for my house.(which I thought was a bit odd at the time) The engineer the next year recommended a condensing boiler ,but not a combi boiler because I already have cold water tanks in the loft and hot water cylinder in the landing
cupboard .
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-21, 12:24 AM   #5077
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
The flow needs to be at least 65 to get Domestic hot water tank over 60 deg C for legionella control

This sort of thing really hacks me off. A place I used to work said stuff like this and wouldn't turn the water temp down, so as a result everyone just had to use cold water to wash their hands. As the water temperature was too damn hot to use (and the taps were not mixed, so you couldn't control the temp that way).
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-21, 08:51 AM   #5078
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8886 View Post
This sort of thing really hacks me off. A place I used to work said stuff like this and wouldn't turn the water temp down, so as a result everyone just had to use cold water to wash their hands. As the water temperature was too damn hot to use (and the taps were not mixed, so you couldn't control the temp that way).
They are supposed to have thermostatic mixer valves upstream of hot tap to limit water to about 40degC. I know how you feel though, when I was in industry they had mixer valves on the taps that office staff used but on the shop floor toilets had just a choice for freezing cold or scalding. Seriously though Legionella is a killer and happily breeds in water tanks that store water below 60degC, a lot of hospitals have the water continuously circulating in hot water pipes and returning to storage tank, so that the pipes stay at a high temperature to stop bugs breeding, but they have mixer valves for everyone to stop scalding 60 degree water will not scald you, even though it feels like it is doing just that. I am shocked that those Quooker boiling water taps are legal, boiling water straight from the tap - who did the elf and safety assessment on that ?

Old 13-02-21, 08:58 AM   #5079
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I think you could be right. A BG engineer one year recommended a new condensing combi boiler for my house.(which I thought was a bit odd at the time) The engineer the next year recommended a condensing boiler ,but not a combi boiler because I already have cold water tanks in the loft and hot water cylinder in the landing
cupboard .

If you realise that they send the techs to your house to dust off the boiler and polish the case so that they can tick the 'boiler serviced' box with the intention of selling you a new, latest 'fad' boiler. And BG are eye wateringly expensive when they install the new boiler that you didn't need anyway, it takes a long time to pay for decrease in fuel use you may or may not get when you have just paid >£2,500 for a new extremely complicated boiler, and if you decide to get Alexa or Hive controls at the same time you can double that cost.

Old 13-02-21, 10:55 AM   #5080
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
If you realise that they send the techs to your house to dust off the boiler and polish the case so that they can tick the 'boiler serviced' box with the intention of selling you a new, latest 'fad' boiler. And BG are eye wateringly expensive when they install the new boiler that you didn't need anyway, it takes a long time to pay for decrease in fuel use you may or may not get when you have just paid >£2,500 for a new extremely complicated boiler, and if you decide to get Alexa or Hive controls at the same time you can double that cost.
I had to stopo myself from saying before but that is exactly my experience with BG. I paid for homecover with them on an older boiler, when it broke 9 engineers turned up couldn't or wouldn't diagnose it and a few tried to condemn it instead for reasons ranging from 2cm too close to a window (which wasn't the reg at time of installation), insufficient water flow rate (it had worked for 12 years prior), pressure release valve dangerous (it pointed at a pitched roof and ran into a rw down pipe, IF a burglar was scaling my roof at the time of me over filling the boiler I could have been sued ), and then more plausible reasons like chipset failure. I ended up replacing the solenoids myself for about £5 and it worked for another 7 years (possibly still going now).

Oops I'm bordering on gripe territory. Smile is I have a new boiler with 10 year warranty from a reputable local firm now and it's warm quiet and shiny.

Last edited by Dave20046; 13-02-21 at 10:56 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote