SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-04-21, 09:48 PM   #1
rob1

Question led indicators

So, i had the joys of fitting my givi pannier rack, where i needed to relocate my indicators, whilst i found some bike it lights which appear to do the job i think there are some power draw issues as they sometimes flash fast, then slow down, all bulbs are intact.

I guess the real question is i have mis matched lights and would like to simply replace all 4 indicators to shiney new LED's. From what ive seen from online doing this will cause the lights to flash very quickly and I either go down the resister route, or replace a relay.

From what ive seen the resister route is risky and not recommended, so im wondering if anyone knew what I need to buy to achieve this slower blinking rate for LED indicators, is it one size fits all or do i need to choose something based on what brand LED indicators i go for?

Next I guess i need to know where this relay is located, is it simple unplug and replace?

I did see somewhere that the front indicators are different to the rear and need a different style connector leads to the back, think its some kind of 3 pin style?

any other thoughts or recommendations?
rob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-21, 07:00 AM   #2
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Re: led indicators

I have LED front and side indicators (yes, I did add another set on the front!), with standard lights on the rear and used a pair of resistors on the front sets to maintain the correct flash rate. The only thing I have found with them is that resistors can get hot, so you need to mount them to a heat sink of some kind and not onto anything plastic. I used the front fairing frame and that has worked well for several years now. The resistors came from a vehicle modification website years ago and they are fairly chunky units that bolt down easily. The wiring was a little complex due to the addition of another set of lights, but I was able to use the original plugs and keep it all as close to original as possible, given the amount of modifications I made.

The only issue I have with the LEDs is that on bright days, they are not as visible as standard bulbs. However, as stated my set are now over ten years old and things have no doubt moved on a lot since I fitted them. It is something to be aware of though if buying cheap Chinese lights from e-Bay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-21, 10:35 AM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The original suzuki 'thermal' relay works on the heating effect of a load of 2 x 21watt filament bulbs = 3.5 amps to work at the correct flash rate, and will flash more quickly if load reduced when a bulb blows. You can get an 'electronic' relay, which will maintain same flash rate regardless of load current. ( between 60 to 120 flashes per minute to be legal ).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV...=&toolid=10001

You can also get 'self-flashing' scrolling type LED flasher assemblies that just need continuous 12 volt power to be supplied for as long as you want them to flash. The other option is non-scrolling flasher that need power to be interrupted at the correct rate to make them flash, some other from Alchemy motorcycle parts or sportsbike shop have built in reisistors that are claimed to work OK with original 'thermal' flasher relay, but I believe some buyers have had to add extra resistance to get flash rate correct. Bit of a minefield really, and some complain that even modern LED flasher not really bright enough. The scrolling flashers are often called 'Audi type' because they started fitted them a few years ago, but I am often horrified by the extremely small size of Audi rear indicators, some not really visible at all when brake-lights are lit up.. how can they be legal ?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 13-04-21 at 10:36 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-21, 11:38 AM   #4
gt alex

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288...27424c4d9FdVfm
This is the led relay I have been using for 2 years on my gen1 with led lights front and back
gt alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-21, 05:05 PM   #5
Spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt alex View Post
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3288...27424c4d9FdVfm
This is the led relay I have been using for 2 years on my gen1 with led lights front and back
Looks like the one I got off Ebay here in the UK, just plugs straight in.
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-21, 08:51 PM   #6
yokohama

As SV650rules says, make sure any LED indicators you buy are visible. My ex-SV had cool, dinky mini LEDs on it but when I was out on observed rides, my IAM instructor who was following just behind said she couldn't see them flashing at all when I was indicating to turn. I ended up changing them to different mini indicators with the standard bulb. Much brighter with the added advantage of getting rid of of all the junk wiring and resistors from under the seat.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-21, 10:06 AM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneflakes View Post
I have LED front and side indicators (yes, I did add another set on the front!), with standard lights on the rear and used a pair of resistors on the front sets to maintain the correct flash rate. e-Bay.

The 'electronic' or 'LED compatible' flasher relays are independent of load, the flash rate is set by internal circuitry, and will handle either filament bulbs, LED bulbs or a mixture... So by the time you have faffed around buying resistors and fitting them it is a lot cheaper to buy an electronic relay and plug it in.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-21, 12:20 PM   #8
juz400

The rubber is perishing on most of my 2003 SK3 indicators, Ive used some self amalgamating tape to keep them in place on the front but it is a loosing battle.

I recently fitted a set of these to the rear of mine, moved one of the rears to the front

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/523975

They came with the resisitors in the pack and seem to work quite well but beware the EXTREMELY thin wires that are fitted, they will pull out of the crimped terminals if you arent carefull.

Im looking to fit something less `sticky-outy` on the front, any suggestions from OP(If you`ve got a new set) or others?

The previous owner has chopped the original terminals from the front pairs of wires and fitted car size/style 5mm bullet (Blue plastic crimp) any thoughts as to the correct size female receptors?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/conne...ons=4294876964

Last edited by juz400; 15-05-21 at 07:26 PM.
juz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-21, 12:26 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

insulated crimps come in 3 wire gauge sizes. red (thin wires) Blue (med wires) and Yellow (thick wires). the receptacles are all universal so if you have say a blue male you buy blue female. you should never need anything more than the red ones for motorcycle use. the secret is use the proper sized wire gauge size of crimp for the wire its attaching too. if the crimp is too big then the wire will come loose. also use a proper ratchet style crimp tool.

dont buy from RS and just get them off ebay or amazon.

as for indicators i'm all in favour of the originals, they may be a bit ugly but they are big and bright so easily seen. saying that i did change mine for GSXR ones but it was a complete nightmare.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-21, 08:17 AM   #10
juz400

Hi Bibio, thanks for the post

My other hobby is DIY Audio, I have a decent ratchet style crimping tool and the current amplifer setup has a couple hundred crimped terminals!

I should re-phrase the question, `what size crimp terminal are the original terminals?`
I would like to return them back to oem/normal so any indicators I buy will click straight in!

Oh and NEVER buy crimp terminals from Ebay!
They are made from the finest chineseium metal and will crumble if used with a ratchet crimp, trust me, Ive been there and will only buy from RS, Mouser, CPC ect.

What was the nightmare with the GSXR ones?

Jut.
juz400 is offline   Reply With Quote