SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-03-05, 08:51 PM   #1
RandomRanger

Default Test Ride ??

Hi, I've just passed my DAS
I've test ridden a Honda Hornet but can't find any dealer that will let me test ride a SV650s
Does anybody know somewhere I can get a Test Ride in North London area
Old 13-03-05, 08:56 PM   #2
will

if you get nowhere in north london, try wheelpower in raynes park (wimledon and south a bit). there's quite a helpful salesman there called craig (i think) who will sort out a test ride. if you are a new rider, he'll probably accompany you on the ride on another bike.

i also had the hornet - sv - hornet - sv dilemma. am very pleased with the SV, hope you feel the same way!

Will
Old 13-03-05, 09:11 PM   #3
RandomRanger

Cheers ... I'll give them a ring

Hornet - SV - Fazer
I just can't decide
Old 13-03-05, 09:47 PM   #4
SPeeeeDY

congratulations

If you have never ridden a sports bike the SVS will feel realy wiered. I have never ridden a hornet, but a Bandit is similar and to start with the bandit was a lot easier to ride than the SVS.

Just take it easy now!

SPeeeeDY
Old 15-03-05, 09:48 PM   #5
RandomRanger

Default Got One

Thanks all for the advice I managed to get a test ride on a sv (thru a private sale) unfortunately as I am not the thinest or shortest it didn't really suit me so I've opted for a Hornet .... and I've already ordered a scorpion can for it and plan some more goodies

maybe i'll catch some of you around on weekends if I'm allowed

Once again Thanks
Old 16-03-05, 11:50 AM   #6
BillyC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRanger
Hornet - SV - Fazer

Part of this elimination process should be VERY easy for you... I've given you a clue!
Old 16-03-05, 12:19 PM   #7
Anonymous

This is a continual problem, not just for the new rider. Many dealers only will put demonstrators for some models on the road. So what I have done is find a dealer with lots of second hand bikes, probabaly not a main dealer, and they are often much more generous. An example is onyerbike at Ayelsbury who have a lot of s/h bikes and are happy to demo them (well seem to be).

On the one hand this may be using them if you then shoot off and buy a new machine elsewhere but it builds up goodwill, you may purchase from them or recommend them etc etc. But test rides seem much easier to get this way.

Like the others say tho, your initial impression of the SV could be off-putting compared with an IL4, but of that bunch I'd say give it a chance, you may like it more in the long run. Personally I think they are all nice bikes. Sythree has had both a new Fazer and an SV (new model???) and Jabba likes the Hornet.
Old 16-03-05, 12:52 PM   #8
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich
Personally I think they are all nice bikes........
.....all except the faired '04-onwards Fazer. Unfaired FZ6 is the better bike and, if you're a tart, it looks v nice in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich
Sythree has had both a new Fazer and an SV (new model???) and Jabba likes the Hornet.
Sythree had a new/pointy-shape SV which got trashed when he went tarmac-surfing on it last summer

He now has a black 03/04 Hornet. I have a blue '03 Hornet which I like a lot and is perfect for what I want.

As Dr Rich says, they are all good bikes - get the one that suits you best.
Old 16-03-05, 12:54 PM   #9
Ceri JC

I've always thought it strange for dealers to refuse test rides, partiularly for bikes they sell lots of (like SVs) rather than ones where they may only have 1 in stock.

No one would expect you to buy a new car without driving it first, would they?

I can understand they don't want some hooligan pretending they're going to buy a busa, just so they can go mental for ah hour on it, but surely if you show some genuine intent to buy they should let you? Maybe give them £100 and say that if you like the bike and are going to buy it, that'll serve as the deposit or somehting?
Old 16-03-05, 01:02 PM   #10
Anonymous

Oh yeah. Who bought the Fazer then? Maybe he was thinking about a Fazer.