SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2006 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2006 SV650.org's annual rideout

Old 12-07-06, 01:53 PM   #101
anna
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard
anna you ride well and you are fine as ur.. see the vid clip.. we passed you easy-- and WE are a wide load !!
Thanks Quiff..

I would like to add to this thread that I am use to riding with 6 or 7 regularly and this was only about the third time I have been involved in a group this size. You are always going to get incidents happening with a large group because of peoples abilities etc. (as previously stated)

Perhaps adding a post of what is expected in a rideout from all riders taking part prior to the event will be of some use to those who dont often ride in a group. Although the initial breifing was well given and self explanitory..

1) We are a large group and it's easy to leave a bad impression on the villages we go through so please be considerate.. ie those with loud cans please keep it down!!

2) Stick to the speed limits as we are a large group we are going to attract attention lets make sure it's for the correct reasons.

3) Leave enough space for the person infront.

4) When riding in a group please ensure that you are easily seen in peoples mirrors a staggered formation ensures that those infront can easily see those behind.

......... I'm sure that there are plenty more that I have forgotten but these were the main ones issued at the start.

I had a fantastic day and as I am not the quickest rider. I didnt feel under pressure to keep up but, at the same time was given space to be able to ride the pace I felt comfortable with.

I would like to say to anyone thinking of coming to the AR 07 please, do not let this thread put you off. I saw some fantastic and considerate riding and, the incidences being discussed in this thread are purely as a way of constructively making sure that future rides also continue without incidents.

Once again I would like to express my thanks to all who organised it, marshall's and everyone who took part who made my first SV AR such a memorable one.

Many thanks

A
Old 12-07-06, 03:15 PM   #102
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
JThe bad overtaking worries me a little to say the least, but as has been said many times
An enormous majority of attendees rode in a manner as to cause no concern to others. The few, (because they really were few), persons/occasions where any mistakes/discourtesies occured are, and I really mean this, no more common than any other times of using the road with the near on 30 million vehicles that we share them with.

Quote:
I know it happens in large rides.
No, it doesn't.
It happens on the road, where you ride, where I ride, all the bloody time, it happens on group rides no more than it happens elsewhere.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Old 12-07-06, 03:23 PM   #103
lynw

Quote:
From what I've read, it seems like the minority spoilt the riding for the majority. I know it's been said that if offenders are behaving too badly they'll be asked to leave the ride. Worst case (note: worst case) scenario, it's a public road, they could 'choose' to ride the same direction.
Which isnt how Ive read it. I dont think it "spoilt" the riding for anyone or the majority, it was just a concern.

Quote:
Maybe something like X people complain over Y legs, and you're asked to leave the ride. Refuse, or tag along, and your 3 strikes are considered served. This could be especially beneficial for the AR. Firstly, bad behaviour would be discouraged. Secondly (especially because I live under Bronstrums' rule), the police would be aware of the AR, it's route, expected numbers, and most importantly, the fact that the community as a whole want to police themselves. How many times have we read about bike meets being closed because they're too big, or causing a disturbance to locals etc? Surely self-policing could only been seen as a good thing.

Oh yea, and (so long as I don't get flamed to death for the idea) I'll hopefully see you all on AR07
As much as it would be nice to show we are policing ourselves, firstly we can not stop people riding the same public roads as us.

Secondly, the police dislike of bikers will not stop them from coming back and taking a further interest in the remainder of us despite behaving impeccably. 60 rectification notices easily handed to them on a plate would be too much to resist for a target obsessed/anti biker police officer.

I simply do not believe the police would ignore the larger group for a few individuals tbh. I also do not believe they think we are capable of self policing.

Old 12-07-06, 03:47 PM   #104
Demonz

Quote:
With this in mind, perhaps borrowing from my kids school policy would help. Their school says that if you park on the yellow zig-zag and are seen by staff, they'll write your number plate down. If you get 3 strikes in a term, they pass your details to the local Plod. The police have been forwarned about the school's policy & back them up 100%.
Thanks for the tip - have been having problems with our head. Her words this morning "we havent had an accident yet so the local plod wont do a thing"

Quote:
Oh yea, and (so long as I don't get flamed to death for the idea) I'll hopefully see you all on AR07
see you there then.... um maybe.

Old 12-07-06, 04:00 PM   #105
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Which isnt how Ive read it. I dont think it "spoilt" the riding for anyone or the majority, it was just a concern.
Agreed.

Old 12-07-06, 04:07 PM   #106
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
Agreed.

Ditto. Also I thought it was much better in the afternoon once everybody had got it out of their system as well.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
Old 12-07-06, 04:29 PM   #107
Well Oiled

Quote:

From what I've read, it seems like the minority spoilt the riding for the majority.
No, the majority did not have their ride spoiled and it shouldn't put you or anyone else off attending AR07 or other SV rideouts.

Quote:

With this in mind, perhaps borrowing from my kids school policy would help. etc. etc.
Well, parking on zig-zags is illegal and an obvious hazard to the schoolkids. It's a bit more difficult to get Police to take 'He overtook me like a tw*t' and 'he won't go away when we tell him' as seriously.

But I agree with the principle of peer pressure to keep riders in line, so the gist of your point is valid.

Cheers Keith

Old 12-07-06, 05:41 PM   #108
Cazza

I was overtaken rather 'rudely' a couple of times (ie into a non-existent space between me and the car I was following at a safe distance, waiting for an opportunity to pass it) - but it didn't "spoil" anything for me. I probably just rolled my eyes, tutted and got on with having a brilliant day.

If anyone had made a manoeuvre which had endangered me without question, then I would have made a note of who it was and had a chat with them at the next stop. Communication is the key.

Old 12-07-06, 06:51 PM   #109
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazza
Communication is the key.
Yes. Like wallop!

Old 12-07-06, 08:48 PM   #110
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazza
I was overtaken rather 'rudely' a couple of times (ie into a non-existent space between me and the car I was following at a safe distance, waiting for an opportunity to pass it) - but it didn't "spoil" anything for me. I probably just rolled my eyes, tutted and got on with having a brilliant day.

If anyone had made a manoeuvre which had endangered me without question, then I would have made a note of who it was and had a chat with them at the next stop. Communication is the key.
if that was me I apologise.. I know I spent most of the day up yer ****..