SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-05-08, 11:13 PM   #1
SV-net

Default Hand grip came off - very scary. What Glue???

Ok yestrerday I had a really scary moment when totally wet I felt the left grip start to move and then without any other warning the thing just shot off the end of the bar and I was left with just the throttle to hold onto!! I almost cr*pp*d my p**ts. But managed to pull up and compose myself and continue home.
So I will go out and get some new gtips in the morning but as I have never fitted grips before I wanted to ask what glue does the best job. There is no way I ever want to feel the way I felt for those few seconds yesterday again.

Cheers
Old 17-05-08, 12:45 AM   #2
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: Hand grip came off - very scary. What Glue???

As long as the tube is totally free for oil/muck, they should be ok straight on, but if you want some reassurance, normal super-glue will do the trick
Old 17-05-08, 12:56 AM   #3
xXBADGERXx

I use Silicone Sealant , warm the grips up in a cup of hot water and slide them on , sometime pledge polish can help them go on , once they have dried in place then lift the end of the grip up and squirt a nice dab of silicone in there , HTH .
Old 17-05-08, 07:30 AM   #4
xbox650

Try a good quality hairspray . Its slippey when wet and sticky when dry , works a treat . May I also suggest some new barends to prevent the grip sliding off no matter what .
Old 17-05-08, 07:35 AM   #5
xbox650

P.S. hairspray will also allow you to remove/replace the grips without having to destroy them to get them off .
Old 17-05-08, 09:00 AM   #6
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBADGERXx View Post
I use Silicone Sealant , warm the grips up in a cup of hot water and slide them on , sometime pledge polish can help them go on , once they have dried in place then lift the end of the grip up and squirt a nice dab of silicone in there , HTH .
Won't furniture polish do the opposite of what you want?? ... i.e. make it slippy like it does surfaces?
Old 17-05-08, 09:11 AM   #7
jumjum_0214

+1 for hairspray.... sounds daft but it works great
Old 17-05-08, 09:16 AM   #8
Tim in Belgium

polish/wd40/gt85 is used by mountainbikers to stick on grips, not sure why it works but it does. Weird.
Old 17-05-08, 09:22 AM   #9
Stig

I never use glue of any kind. My grips don't come loose. What I do use to get the on is a hand wash.

I use an alcohol based hand rub. It's the same stuff the hospitals use for visitors to clean their hands. It dissolves to nothing. A squirt of that gives enough lubrication for the grip to slip on quite easily and a few moments later it has completely gone.

Another option is to use a soapy water solution but this takes a little while longer to dry out.

The trouble with glues and such is over time it eats into the rubber. Also some glues in contact with moisture end up being just being tacky instead of sticky. This means constant use ends up with the grip slipping round and even coming off.
Old 17-05-08, 09:49 AM   #10
phil24_7
Mega Poster

I used washing up liquid to get mine on, then 2 months later I got caught in the rain and my grip came off in my hand. Managed to clean it of all soap residue and then force it back on and I've had no problems since!!!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote