SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-01-09, 12:10 PM   #11
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Is my engine ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Shorter rotation of the throttle grip to acheive full throttle. Its my understanding that it is made so that small throttle movments (like those you make in town) still provide the fine control you need, but it dosnt need to be twisted as far to get full throttle (i.e. its not a constant-radius on the bit the cable is connected to?)
It's a constant radius, it's just larger than the original so that it pulls more cable per unit of twist.

FWIW I think it's irrelevant, enough people like it though so I'm the odd one out. Again.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-09, 02:02 PM   #12
skyline

Nice one, cheers loads for all your help everyone that's pretty much put my mind at rest! Another motorbiking lesson learnt - don't keep cranking the engine...

BTW I did a whole load of pictures of my r6 throttle/new grips mod to keep reminding myself where everything went...if anyone's interested, I can get a photobucket account sorted and post up a how-to...

Cheers again all
Old 16-01-09, 04:48 PM   #13
embee
Mega Poster

It's not uncommon to get a single "knock" on starting, especially hot, with carbs. It is usually a true "knocking" cycle, as in pinking/detonation.

The reason is that if the engine stops in a certain position, with one cylinder basically at bottom dead centre intake, the cylinder is completely full of air/fuel mixture from when it ran down after the ignition was switched off.

Then when you turn it to start, it's exactly as if you had the throttle wide open from less than idle speed. If it fires first cycle, it will knock. If it doesn't fire first turn, the next time round the intake pressure will be much lower (closed throttle) and it doesn't knock.

As far as I'm aware it isn't normal for bikes to use a separate "cranking ignition" value, unlike with cars which have somewhat more sophisticated ECU's.

Fuel injection avoids this because it cuts fuel when you switch off, so the run-down to stop is without fuel, and it won't fire on the first turn and takes a rev or 2 until it has some injected fuel, by which time the intake pressure is usually low again.
Old 16-01-09, 05:03 PM   #14
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Sorry to deviate slightly but what does the r6 throttle mod achieve?

(see here)
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...light=throttle

Last edited by hovis; 16-01-09 at 05:06 PM.
Old 16-01-09, 06:12 PM   #15
zadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
It's not uncommon to get a single "knock" on starting, especially hot, with carbs. It is usually a true "knocking" cycle, as in pinking/detonation.
nope.it is knock from gears suddenly stopping.
one loud knock.