SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 18-12-08, 10:43 AM   #1
keithd

Default Police Camera Action...

dunno if any of you peepers caught it last night, quite moving in places. they covered the case of Luke McCormick, the Plymouth Argyle goalkeeper who killed two lads pi$$ed up on his way home from a wedding. they played a 999 call from the first on the scene, he was describing the state of the car and the occupants. quite awful to listen to.

they also showed CCTV footage of McCormick at time of learning he'd killed at least one child. That too was quite hard to watch. No i've no sympathy for his jail sentence (he got 7 years), but the awful realisation of what he'd done was quite horrible.

to my main point....

they had half a dozen guinea pigs in, people who were helping out, not the rodents, who were self confessed drink drivers. they asked them to drink what they'd normally consume before driving home then they'd breathalise them as they left the boozer...one lass drunk 6 or 8 (i forget which) malibu and cokes her breath specimen - using state of the art kit provided by John Q Law - came up 4mg!! legal limit being 35mg. Another chappie drunk 5 pints and had a reading of 31mg, again under the limit.

Their angle on it was "you just never know what your limit is so don't take a chance.." but from what i can see other less erm, intelligent, people will watch it and think hey i can drink 5 pints and drive and i'll be alright...

anybody else see it and come to similar conclussions?
Old 18-12-08, 10:48 AM   #2
600+

Default Re: Police Camera Action...

I did watch part of it, I agree with you and unfortunately the report that came out this morning saying that M'cr and Salford are high up the list for people with alcohol issues......well driving while drunk will be a derivative of that
Old 18-12-08, 10:50 AM   #3
Dappa D

very valid point mr d, chavtastics im sure will see it as exactly that.

unfortunatelty i only caught the last few minutes, but did hear the call (if it was the one over the credits at the end.

im hoping it will be on bt visions tv replay thing as it looked interesting
Old 18-12-08, 11:00 AM   #4
G
Mega Poster

The telephone conversation between the operator and the first on scene was harrowing.

The bloke obviously saw them get run off the road but didnt think it would be too bad, then he saw the state of the car and said something along the lines of, theres a childs leg sticking out of the back seat.....at first he thought there was only 3 in the car thats how bad it was.

Just terrible, I heard the parent speaking on Radio 2 about a month ago and that was just as terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd View Post
Their angle on it was "you just never know what your limit is so don't take a chance.." but from what i can see other less erm, intelligent, people will watch it and think hey i can drink 5 pints and drive and i'll be alright...
Those were exactly my thoughts......mainly the people who were fat and ate lots their bodys absorbed the alcohol making them more fat but haveing a low alcohol level in their blood.....it depends completely on how used to drinking you are.

Part of me believes that there should be no limit.....simply if you drink you should not drive, but then thats not really practicle because you would end up being pulled over at 2pm the day after and potentially still have a tiny amount of alcohol in your body.
Old 18-12-08, 11:06 AM   #5
arcdef

wont be long until a complete ban on drinking and driving, however even that woman that had 8 Malibu cokes messed up the driving thing at the end, they were all drunk and they knew it.........that little girl with the mini though she was way past it!!!

cant stand drink drivers, my mates loose their keys if they try it, guess they just too ignorant to realise it....."im more concentrated when ive had a drink"......

Last edited by arcdef; 18-12-08 at 11:16 AM.
Old 18-12-08, 11:13 AM   #6
JamesMio
Mega Poster

I saw it - was amazed that tart was under the limit after 8 Malibu & Cokes!! It may only be 20 (ish) % but still...

It's a funny one, I've felt half cut after one pint before now, and other times I've felt stone cold sober after 5/6. (Have never drove after it I should add, it's just not worth it or me.)

Would've boffed the young lass that drove the Mini though

Creatomatic

Last edited by JamesMio; 18-12-08 at 11:39 AM.
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-08, 11:16 AM   #7
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMio View Post

It's a funny one, I've felt half cut after one pint before now, and other times I've felt stone cold sober after 5/6. (Have never drove after it I should add, it's just not worth it or me.)

Same as me, if I have been under the weather and not eaten anything I can have one pint and I know that I should defo not drive (I dont drive if I'm drinking anything anyway) but I have had 12 bottle on smirnoff in the past and felt completely fine.

I dont drink very often anyway which helps me get happy easier.
Old 18-12-08, 11:16 AM   #8
keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMio View Post

Would've boffed the young lass that drive the Mini though
when you say boffed....do you mean give her a dry slap cos she was annoying or sort her out sexy time?

she was flirting big time with the presenter chappie! hussy.
Old 18-12-08, 11:18 AM   #9
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcdef View Post
wont be long until a complete ban on drinking and driving, however even that woman that had 8 Malibu cokes messed up the driving thing at the end, they were all drunk and they knew it.........that little girl with the mini though she was way past it!!!

Those driving simulators are the same as what you get in BSM offices, they are complete and utter crap.

Perception of speed, distance and steering feel is nothing like real world, if I went on one sober i would probably be all over the shop as well.
Old 18-12-08, 11:21 AM   #10
Kazbee79

It was a harrowing programme to watch.

The attitude of the Builder bloke in his 50’s was the worst. The rest while clearly idiots with their attitude to DD, he stood out when shown the car wreck and knowing it was cause d by a drink driver, then stood there and said ah well you cant blame the drink accidents happen.

Words just cant describe people with that attitude. I firmly believe there should be 0mg DD limit. No it won’t stop people drinking and driving if they really want to, but I may stop the chancers who think they are ok after a pint or two, and that can only be a good thing.

Of course it carries risks as the amount of people who get caught out the day after would probably go up.