SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-03-16, 11:54 AM   #1
morgoth

Default SV650S K9 Battery Charging Issues.

Hi everyone! The names Sy and I'm a new bike rider (passed a week ago) and have bought myself a K9 SV650S (2009)

I was a car guy before, but have now shifted to bikes

As I have amazing luck, I took it for my first ride alone and ended up stranded with the bike switching off on me at the lights, I pushed it to the side and it would not crank over..

I left it for a bit (5 mins) and luckily got it to start and rode it home.. Since the bike had been parked for around 4 months before I thought perhaps its a dead battery, so I left it on charge for a couple of hours and rode it again..

However it cut out on me again, and this time would not start, I tried bump starting it too, but nothing.. it tried but couldnt hold it. So I got my friend to give me a jump start with his car (kept the car off).

Bringing it home I thought the battery must be at the end of its life.. but anyway I charged it up over night, and till late afternoon, (approx 16 hours) and measured it at 13V fully charged, I left it and checked again in around 3 - 4 hours and it was still 12.98V.

The other test I did was then to put the battery back on the bike, and check the voltage without ignition, with ignition, idle, and 5k RPM.

For all the above, the battery did not go above 12.5V even at 5k RPM.

I then checked online, and heard about R/R's going out on these, so I removed mine, (Which was bloody annoying!) and tested it following a YouTube guide.

From what I gathered is that all 3 pins show equal values, either 0 or 5.5V

Is this okay? I'm not sure what to do next, I mean could it be the Stator? or is there a charging system fuse?

Sorry if I've made nooby mistake ! and all help is really appreciated !
Old 08-03-16, 09:02 PM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650S K9 Battery Charging Issues.

You can check the alternator output.The three yellow wires that go from alternator to the reg/rec should each show a similar voltage when the engine is running,about 70 volts ac from memory.Measure each wire against each other wire in turn and if one is significantly different there is a problem.
Otherwise have a good look at all the connections around the battery and the earths.
Old 09-03-16, 08:59 AM   #3
morgoth

Okay thanks for this - I'll try testing that out and will get back.
Old 22-03-16, 03:25 PM   #4
morgoth

Just an update, tested the Stator and it was fine, replaced the Regulator/Recitifier anyway even though it was showing fine, and behold it is now charging the battery!

Goes to show, even if the checks turn out OK, it could still be the R/R!