SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-08-07, 08:48 AM   #1
plowsie

Default Lost Driving Licence

Hi guys lost my wallet, stupidly enough i took all the important stuff out Bank cards and my Hein Gericke card (See told ya important stuff), had my driving licence in it. I still have the paper part at home. Do i get charged for losing the licence when i re-apply for the plastic card part?
Old 16-08-07, 09:05 AM   #2
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Default Re: Lost Driving Licence

Yes. HTH!
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-07, 09:15 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

Careful.
I got a producer in Leigh, but couldn't find my licence. So immediately applied for a duplicate. Produced MOT and insurance and explained the situation re license.

Next thing I got a summons for failing to produce the licence. On the summons it stated "On further investigation, it was established that Mr Wilkinson did hold a full licence for the class of vehicle he was driving". The B'stards still did me £25.

What a jobsworth. I was driving in accordance with my licence. Once I realised I had lost it I immediately applied for a duplicate. Still he had to process a failure to produce.

If you cannot lay your hands on a licence, don't ride/drive as you are an easy target for the target obsessed.
Old 16-08-07, 09:23 AM   #4
plowsie

I've reported it to the police though, can i still get done?
Old 16-08-07, 09:29 AM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Careful.
I got a producer in Leigh, but couldn't find my licence. So immediately applied for a duplicate. Produced MOT and insurance and explained the situation re license.

Next thing I got a summons for failing to produce the licence. On the summons it stated "On further investigation, it was established that Mr Wilkinson did hold a full licence for the class of vehicle he was driving". The B'stards still did me £25.

What a jobsworth. I was driving in accordance with my licence. Once I realised I had lost it I immediately applied for a duplicate. Still he had to process a failure to produce.

If you cannot lay your hands on a licence, don't ride/drive as you are an easy target for the target obsessed.
Completely different to my experience.

I got a producer after my off.

Couldnt remember where my Insurance Cert was (well actually couldn't get at it due to broken collar bone.

Phoned the Station to let them know it would be a day or two until I got a duplicate.

Got told that it wasnt their policy to chase producers, and that a couple of days would be fine.

Got the docs, went into a South London station (producer issued in Surrey) the fille out the forms I walked out.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-07, 09:32 AM   #6
Bluepete
Mega Poster

No.
These days, I can check the status of your licence on the radio at the roadside. I rarely give out producers, why waste peoples time?
It won't cause you a problem, just get it sorted ASAP. You will get a new paper counterpart as well with a new issue number on the licence.
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-07, 09:34 AM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
I've reported it to the police though, can i still get done?

Be frightened

The driver of a vehicle can be required to produce various documents to the police. If a driver cannot produce the documents immediately, the police will give the driver a notice explaining that they have seven days to produce the documents at a police-station. This notice is known as the HORT/1 or “producer”.

Summary of the Law

Failing subsequently to produce your driving licence, certificate of insurance or MOT certificate (if required) for inspection is an offence.

It can be a defence to produce the documents as soon as you can thereafter, if it was not possible for you to do so within the seven days.

If you do not produce a document it is likely that a summons will be sent alleging both a failure to produce the document and the relevant document offence itself. For example, if you fail to produce your insurance certificate, you can expect a summons alleging failing to produce and driving without insurance. The prosecutor will withdraw the charge of driving without insurance if you can produce your certificate, but the failing to produce charge will stay unless you have can show good reason why you did not produce the document.

Maximum Sentence

This offence can be dealt with only by the Magistrates Court. The maximum penalty is a fine of up to £1000.

The Court has no power to disqualify for this offence or put penalty points on a driver’s licence. The fine tends to reflect the administrative complications that result when documents are not produced in good time.

Legal provision

s164, 165 Road Traffic Act 1988

My experience is that lost the licence is not good reason in Leigh
Old 16-08-07, 09:41 AM   #8
Ceri JC

Off topic a bit, but you say HG card. Do you actually have a proper plastic credit card style one, or is it just a flimsy piece of cardboard?
Old 16-08-07, 09:41 AM   #9
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Off topic a bit, but you say HG card. Do you actually have a proper plastic credit card style one, or is it just a flimsy piece of cardboard?
Credit card stylie
Old 16-08-07, 09:42 AM   #10
plowsie

I'm scared now, i am in the process of ringin the DVLA to seek advice from them, looks like £22